Illegal travel to India lands Sri Lankans in troubleMarch 31st, 2008 - 8:51 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, March 31 (IANS) Two Sri Lankans were arrested and another four including a woman detained for questioning Monday off the Rameshwaram coast in Tamil Nadu for trying to enter India illegally, police sources said here. The two who were arrested were identified as Anton (40) and Valentine (29).
A police spokesman said that an Indian naval helicopter spotted them travelling in a high-speed boat ferrying a 30-year-old woman, Nakuleshwari, and her three children from Trincomalee in eastern Sri Lanka to India.
After surrendering to the Indian authorities, the family admitted paying Rs.50,000 to the boatmen, a police officer quoted officials as saying in the coastal town of Rameshwaram.
The family had come looking for their male breadwinner who had fled to India earlier, the police said.
The police said that the antecedents of the six people were being checked to discern whether they were linked to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
“On the basis of their statements, we will decide the future course of action,” a police source said.
- Security alert in India over LTTE landings, ammunition seizure - Jan 28, 2010
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Ensure safety of Sri Lankans in India: Amnesty - Sep 06, 2012
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
- LTTE is not being trained in Tamil Nadu - Apr 02, 2012
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests Australia-bound asylum seekers - Aug 20, 2012
- Navy chief denies Indian military role in Sri Lanka - Mar 27, 2009
- Security up along Tamil Nadu coast - Apr 26, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- No LTTE camp in Tamil Nadu, say police - Mar 10, 2011
- Former Tamil chief minister returns to Sri Lanka - after nine years - Apr 07, 2010
- Sri Lankan politician arrested for human smuggling - Jul 25, 2012
- Tamil Nadu fishermen attend a church festival at Kachchativu in Sri Lanka - Mar 01, 2010
- LTTE tortured and killed while fighting Indians: Book - Jul 12, 2012