‘Illegal’ stone mining triggers protests in MathuraJanuary 12th, 2009 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mathura, Jan 12 (IANS) Protests were held Monday against the alleged illegal stone mining in this Uttar Pradesh city, amid concerns from environmental activists that ecology was being disturbed at holy places here. Hundreds of activists and mendicants demonstrated at the Mathura district magistrate’s office demanding setting up of permanent police posts to check the illegal mining. The protesters presented a memorandum to the district magistrate seeking removal of officials who had permitted the mining in the area.
Mathura is reputed to be the birthplace of Hindu god Krishna.
A joint team of officials Sunday seized crushers and machinery of more than a dozen alleged illegal miners, who had been excavating stone from the eco-sensitive area of Braj, near Barsana, the birth place of Radha, companion of Krishna.
Some JCB machines, crushers, tractors and trucks were seized.
Environmental activists of the Braj Rakshak Dal have been demanding action against miners who, they said, have damaged the fragile ecology of holy places.
- AFTER 1 )Krishna land now an urban disaster (Letter from Mathura) - Aug 12, 2012
- Where Holi goes on for 50 days - Mar 07, 2012
- Radhastami celebrations in Mathura - Sep 05, 2011
- A riot of colours in Vrindavan - Mar 08, 2012
- Hundreds of ascetics march to save Yamuna - Feb 27, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh residents celebrate 'Laddoo Holi' - Mar 14, 2011
- Devotees gather for 'Lath Mar' holi in Barsana - Mar 14, 2011
- Environmentalists demand CBI probe in mining scam in Braj Mandal - Nov 15, 2009
- Holi revelry picks up momentum in Braj area (With Image) - Mar 15, 2011
- Ascetics march to save Lord Krishna's Braj - May 25, 2009
- Is this how the ancients prevented river water seepage? (With Images) - Jul 12, 2012
- Flooded Yamuna brings on Janmashtami fervour in Braj - Sep 01, 2010
- IPS officer crushed to death in Madhya Pradesh (Second Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- Rs.500 crore plan for holy Goverdhan hill - Apr 12, 2012
- Akhilesh wants faster work on Agra international airport - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: barsana, birth place, crushers, district magistrate, environmental activists, fragile ecology, hindu god krishna, holy places, jcb machines, mathura district, memorandum, mendicants, miners, police posts, protesters, protests, rakshak, sensitive area, tractors, uttar pradesh city