Illegal Bangladeshi immigrants pose security threat: courtAugust 12th, 2008 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) Expressing concern over the increasing number of illegal immigrants in the capital, the Delhi High Court Tuesday said they pose a danger to India’s internal security, and dismissed a petition by a Bangladeshi national against her deportation. Justice S.L. Bhayana dismissed Razia Begum’s petition and upheld the Foreigners Regional Registration Office’s (FRRO) decision to deport her and four of her family members back to Bangladesh.
“If someone is able to obtain a passport, ration card, election identification card and nationalality certificate by illegal means, it doesn’t meant that one is an Indian national - until and unless one gets his nationality through legal means,” court said.
Razia Begum and four others of her family were arrested from Khanpur area of south Delhi Dec 28, 2007, by the deportation cell of the FRRO on the basis of a tip-off.
The police recovered a fake ration card, election I-cards and nationality certificates from them.
Opposing Razia Begum’s contention that she is an Indian national, Delhi Police stated that her family had come to India from Bangladesh in 1990 and on investigation they could not produce any birth certificate or any other document to establish their claim that they are Indian nationals.
In April, the FRRO decided to deport all five of them.
Razia Begum and her family members approached the Delhi High Court, challenging the FRRO’s decision.
The court in May dismissed the petition of the other four.
“Deportation is a process and not a punishment. An increasing number of illegal immigrants in the capital are posing a great danger to our internal security,” said the judge.
Earlier this year, the court asked the Delhi government to speed up the deportation of Bangladeshis illegally living in the capital and asked for monthly progress reports.
- Delhi HC says illegal Bangladeshi migrants a threat to Indias security - Aug 13, 2008
- Court dismisses PIL on Bangladeshi illegal immigrants - Apr 22, 2011
- Crime trail leads to illegal Bangladeshi immigrants, 140 deported - May 26, 2011
- CBI gets list of Mujibur Rahman's killers - Mar 13, 2012
- UID can be security risk, warns BJP - Jan 21, 2012
- Vote bank politics shields illegal Bangladeshis: Court (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Africa's Malawi deports 10 Bangladeshi migrants - Jan 08, 2012
- Assam NGOs against Bangladeshis' deportation allowed to amend PIL - Jul 27, 2012
- No data on illegal migrants: minister - Aug 08, 2012
- Compensate migrant Indian worker wrongly deported: Court - May 15, 2011
- Deport illegal Bangladeshi migrants: RSS chief - Feb 04, 2010
- Bangladesh's Grameen bank chief Yunus steps down - May 13, 2011
- Delhi Police detaining illegal Bangladeshi migrants ahead of I-Day - Aug 09, 2009
- Over 40,000 illegal Bangladeshi migrants deported from Delhi - Jul 25, 2009
- Delhi has 65,000 fake ration cards meant for poor, court told - Jul 21, 2010