IIT student sent to 14-day police remand in GujaratMay 9th, 2009 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, May 9 (IANS) A court sent Ashish Ravindranathan, an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) student, to a 14-day police remand here Saturday after he was nabbed for allegedly duping 50 credit card holders.
Ashish, a second semester student at IIT-Bombay’s extension centre in Gandhinagar, was arrested by the city crime branch officials Friday night for allegedly duping credit card holders of Rs.650,000.
“This 18-year-old IIT student had been committing credit card frauds for the past six months. He posed as a Barclays Bank executive and took down credit card numbers and other personal details of many credit card holders across the country on the pretext of helping them get a fresh credit card with a lifetime validity,” a crime branch official told IANS.
He said after getting the credit card numbers, Ashish booked air tickets online from a local travel agent and later cancelled them for drawing hefty refunds.
“The boy booked airline tickets only to cancel them and get refunds after using credit card numbers of 50 customers during the past six months,” he said.
The official said Ravindranathan belongs to a fairly well-off family in Ahmedabad and committed the crime for a luxurious lifestyle.
- Kolkata conman dupes Jet Airways of Rs.2 crore, nabbed - Nov 10, 2010
- Couple held for duping NRIs, elderly - Feb 17, 2011
- Rs.16 crore credit card racket busted in Bangalore - Oct 28, 2011
- Indian varsities slip in global ranking - Sep 06, 2011
- IIT-JEE topper aspires to be a civil servant (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Hyderabad boy tops IIT-JEE (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- One held for duping IIT aspirants - Sep 03, 2010
- Bryan Adams' rescheduled concert also called off - Feb 17, 2011
- 'Cyber crime threatening India' - Mar 17, 2010
- 2010 CWG tickets to be launched on August 25 - Aug 20, 2010
- Chinese college launches morality bank - Mar 08, 2012
- Delhi 2010 tickets to be launched on August 25 - Aug 20, 2010
- Railways to curb Tatkal misuse - Nov 11, 2011
- Gang of credit card cheats busted - Jan 28, 2011
- Indian call centres selling Britons' personal data: Report - Mar 18, 2012