IIT student in jail for keeping heroinOctober 19th, 2008 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 19 (IANS) A West Bengal district court Sunday remanded a student of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Kharagpur to 14 days of judicial remand for allegedly keeping heroin with him.Priyankar Biswas, a third year B-Tech student of Agricultural Sciences, was arrested outside the main gate of the institute Saturday afternoon with a packet of heroin.
“Priyankar Biswas was found guilty of keeping a packet with 100 gms of heroin with him. Hence the court has decided to remand him to 14-day jail custody,” the court order said.
However, Biswas denied the allegation and said it was a conspiracy to trap him.
“Two people gave me a cigarette Saturday and asked me to light it for them. As I was lighting it, police came and arrested me saying there is heroin in the cigarette and that I was involved in a drug racket,” Biswas said.
Additional Superintendent of Police (Kharagpur) Pranab Kumar said: “We are suspecting that Biswas is involved in a drug racket. It was not that he was trapped in any conspiracy. We have proof against his statement but can’t reveal it during the investigation stage.”
- One held for duping IIT aspirants - Sep 03, 2010
- President rues no Indian varsity in world's top 200 (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- What's the hurry to bring common entrance test: IIT faculty - Jun 11, 2012
- IIT-Kharagpur welcomes budgetary grant - Feb 28, 2011
- Indian varsities slip in global ranking - Sep 06, 2011
- Candlelight prayer for Pune terror victims in Kolkata - Feb 15, 2010
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- HCL founder Shiv Nadar to head IIT-Kharagpur's board - Apr 07, 2011
- Bengal to plan for preventing natural calamities - May 26, 2011
- Third grader distributes heroin packets in his school - Apr 17, 2010
- Railways to sign with IIT-Kharagpur for research - Feb 10, 2010
- Court notice to IITs on joint entrance examination - Apr 08, 2010
- IIT-Kanpur alumni heading city's administration, police - Mar 23, 2012
- Anna Hazare's arrest sparks anger in US - Aug 17, 2011
- Maoist strategist held in Bengal (Third Lead) - Jul 17, 2012