IIT-Kharagpur to tie up with 15 foreign institutesJuly 26th, 2008 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Kharagpur (West Bengal), July 25 (IANS) The Indian Institute of Technology-Kharagpur (IIT-K) will soon collaborate with 15 foreign universities for academic and research activities, the director of the institute said here Friday. “We are all set to have collaborations at different levels with as many as 15 foreign universities and institutes, including Cambridge University, University of South Wales, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology of Zurich and Dresden University of Germany soon,” Damodar Acharya said at the 54th Annual Convocation of IIT-K.
Among the other varsities in the line-up are University of British Columbia, City University of Hong Kong, Virginia Commonwealth University and University of Birmingham.
Acharya added that the institute has already signed memorandum of understanding with several universities in the US, Germany, Korea and Italy including University of Tokyo, Technical University of Berlin and University of Warwick for academic tie-ups.
“We are also setting up a global venture laboratory in collaboration with Finland’s Jyvaskyla University and University of California at the institute’s Science and Technology Park (STEP) to improve skills of the budding entrepreneurs,” the director said.
He said that the the institute will also help other institutes of learning in the country to grow.
“This year, for the first time, a new institute - IIT-Bhubaneswar - has started operating under IIT-Kharagpur’s mentorship. We have also increased the average of PhD holders from 12 to 17 a year from the present session.”
“We have increased student intake by 13 percent for the year 2008-09 and have decided to increase it upto 54 percent in 2010-2011,” he said.
Acharya said the institute is also considering two new five-year dual degree courses with under graduate in any branch and masters in financial engineering or engineering entrepreneurship.
- President rues no Indian varsity in world's top 200 (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- HCL founder Shiv Nadar to head IIT-Kharagpur's board - Apr 07, 2011
- What's the hurry to bring common entrance test: IIT faculty - Jun 11, 2012
- IIT students urged to contribute to socio-economic growth - Aug 28, 2010
- Alternate admission procedure for engineering schools soon: Sibal - Jul 17, 2010
- IIT-Kharagpur welcomes budgetary grant - Feb 28, 2011
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Indian varsities slip in global ranking - Sep 06, 2011
- Bengal to plan for preventing natural calamities - May 26, 2011
- Banerjee, Hariprasad Chaurasia honoured by IIT-Kharagpur - Jul 17, 2010
- International Medical Center to be developed at IIT Kharagpur - Aug 19, 2009
- IIT Kharagpur plans to increase seats to 20,000 by 2020 - Aug 08, 2009
- One held for duping IIT aspirants - Sep 03, 2010
- Sibal mulls changes in engineering entrance exam - Sep 10, 2010
- IIT-Kanpur barred from taking foreign donations - Sep 03, 2012