IIT-Kharagpur students back Anna at convocationAugust 22nd, 2011 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 22 (IANS) Hours before Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to the Indian Institute of Technology-Kharagpur, locals and students Monday staged a protest at the main gate of the institute to express solidarity with the fasting Anna Hazare.
A group of students even announced that they would not accept their degrees at the annual convocation Monday in support of Hazare’s campaign.
Another section of students has pledged that they would accept the degrees but would rather wear Gandhi caps than the traditional graduation hat.
“Prime Minister giving me my degree is a dream come true. But right now a strong Lokpal is much more important than my dream,” said Ritesh Singh, a student.
A group of around 50 people with placards and festoons picketed the campus gate Monday and shouted slogans in support of Hazare and his demand for a stronger and more inclusive Lokpal bill.
“We are here to protest against the government’s attitude and inform the prime minister that all of us want a strong Lokpal bill,” said Shyamal Das, a 35-year-old businessman.
“Annaji is fasting for the last seven days and the government is simply sleeping and waiting for him to die,” said Ranajit Pal, a second year student.
- UPA committed to Lokpal, have patience, Hazare told - Dec 16, 2011
- BJP accepts Jan Lokpal bill: Gadkari writes to Anna - Aug 25, 2011
- 200 Anna supporters detained outside Rahul Gandhi's house - Aug 26, 2011
- Hazare is impatient, says Congress - Dec 26, 2011
- No proposal from government: Kejriwal - Aug 22, 2011
- Fasting Anna calls for 'revolution' as thousands rally (Third Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Anna Hazare flags off rally in Mumbai - Aug 09, 2011
- Dalits protest against Jan Lokpal bill - Aug 24, 2011
- Working on Lokpal bill, Anna should be patient: Government (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Plea in apex court to restrain Hazare from fasting - Aug 01, 2011
- Bangaloreans protest Anna's arrest - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna to break fast after written commitment: PM - Aug 24, 2011
- Anna's fast enters day 7, crowds throng Ramlila ground (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- Hegde urges Hazare to end fast (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Karnataka pontiff backs Hazare's anti-graft bill - Aug 18, 2011
Tags: annaji, businessman, convocation, festoons, gandhi, graduation hat, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology kharagpur, institute of technology, kolkata, manmohan, manmohan singh, placards, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ritesh, seven days, shyamal, slogans, solidarity