IIT Kanpur revolts, to hold separate entrance examJune 8th, 2012 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) In a clear revolt against the human resource development ministry’s move for a common entrance test, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Kanpur Friday decided to hold its own entrance test from 2013.
Upset with the ministry’s decision to merge IIT Joint Entrance Exam (IIT-JEE) with the All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE), the 210-member senate of IIT-Kanpur passed a resolution rejecting the new format.
“The recent IIT Council proposal on admissions to IITs is academically and methodically unsound and in violation of the Institutes of Technology Act (1961) and IIT Kanpur Ordinances (Ordinance 3.2 (Admissions),” said the resolution.
“In view of the Senate resolution adopted in its 2011-12/9th meeting held on April 10, 2012, invoking Ordinance 3.2, the Senate resolves that IIT Kanpur will conduct the entrance examination for admissions to its undergraduate programmes in 2013.”
It authorised its chairman to constitute a committee with the help of the dean of academic affairs for conducting “JEE 2013 by IIT Kanpur”.
IIT Kanpur had raised a voice of dissent earlier as well at the meeting of the HRD ministry when the new pattern of exam was decided upon.
According to those present at the meeting, except IIT-Delhi and IIT-Madras, none of the IITs agreed with the new format.
The professors, alumni and those close to the IITs fear the new format will “dilute” the IITs.
IITs have been holding a joint entrance exam. However, the new format combines it with the entrance exam for the National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and the Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs). It also includes a weightage of percentage from Class 12 board exams for entrance into IITs.
- Now, IIT-Kanpur seeks PM's intervention on common test - Jun 11, 2012
- IIT Delhi also revolts, to conduct own exam (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- States unwilling to join new IIT-JEE format - Jun 06, 2012
- The new IIT exam pattern (Factfile) - Jun 28, 2012
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Second Lead, correcting spelling) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sibal rules out rollback of common IIT test - Jun 12, 2012
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test - Jun 22, 2012
- More IITs may go against common entrance test - Jun 09, 2012
- What's the hurry to bring common entrance test: IIT faculty - Jun 11, 2012
- IIT alumni to lobby against new entrance test pattern - Jun 01, 2012
- IIT Delhi also rejects CET, to have own exam - Jun 21, 2012
- Can't quit IIT, reappear in entrance test: Court - Apr 05, 2012
- Kapil Sibal skips IIT council meet - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: board exams, common entrance test, development ministry, entrance exam, entrance examination, hrd ministry, human resource development, iit delhi, iit madras, india engineering, indian institute of technology, indian institutes, institutes of technology, member senate, national institutes of technology, revolts, senate resolution, technology act, voice of dissent, weightage