IIT Delhi faculty strength cut by 10 percentAugust 8th, 2008 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) In an ironical move, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi has reduced its faculty strength by 10 percent at a time when the number of students has gone up by nine percent. Currently battling a teachers crunch, IIT Delhi’s sanctioned strength of 556 faculties has been brought down to 506, authorities said Friday.
“As of yesterday, the sanctioned faculty strength was 556 but today it was reduced to 506 - a reduction of 10 percent. While the student teacher ratio was 9:1 earlier, it has been reworked to 10:1,” said Surendra Prasad, director, IIT Delhi.
Sunil Kalra, dean, undergraduate studies at IIT Delhi, told IANS that though the sanctioned strength had been cut by 10 percent, they would be happy if they get even 506 faculties. IIT Delhi has just 448 faculties at present.
“The equation may be anything but the ground realities are different. Even if the student-teacher ratio becomes 10:1, we would be in a better position than what is the reality now - 448 teachers for 5,300 students,” Kalra added.
Asked why the faculty strength was reduced at a time the institute was increasing its student intake to implement the 27 percent quota for other backward classes, Prasad said: “(It’s a) joint decision.”
IIT authorities did not clarify if it followed a direction from the human resource development ministry.
Elaborating on the faculty situation, Prasad said IIT had instituted young faculty fellowship to attract “young minds”. “We have already added 27 new faculties through this scheme.”
Earlier, IIT Delhi said that this year 1,415 students, including from graduate and postgraduate studies, has graduated. The 39th convocation of IIT Delhi will be held Saturday.
- IITs to enrol foreign students, offer medical courses - Sep 10, 2010
- Is even one of our institutions world class, asks Sibal - May 24, 2011
- Foreign students, medical courses likely in IITs (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- New fee structure for IITs discussed - Sep 14, 2011
- What ails the IITs (Comment) - Oct 25, 2011
- Government has 'complete trust' in IIT, IIM faculty: Sibal - May 26, 2011
- 1,415 IIT Delhi students awarded degrees - Aug 09, 2008
- Teacher shortage could hamper universal education goal (For Teacher's Day, Sep 5) - Sep 04, 2010
- Medicine to be taught at IIT, says Sibal - Sep 10, 2010
- IIT Delhi also revolts, to conduct own exam (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- IIMK to churn out socially sensitive executives - Mar 30, 2010
- India launches cheapest tablet computing device - Oct 05, 2011
- Faculty shortage: IITs to go on a global hunt - Aug 14, 2008
- What's the hurry to bring common entrance test: IIT faculty - Jun 11, 2012
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012