IIMs begin identifying creamy layer among OBCApril 25th, 2008 - 10:38 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 25 (IANS) In order to ensure that the 27 percent other backward classes (OBCs)reservation is implemented from the coming academic session, the Indian Institutes of Management have begun identifying the creamy layer or affluent among the community to keep them out of the benefits in accordance with an apex court ruling. The IIMs have asked candidates belonging to the OBC category to provide details of their parents, their financial status and other information, said a senior official of the union ministry of human resource development (HRD) Friday.
The OBC candidates have been asked to establish their financial status to avail of the benefits of reservation. They would have to get a certificate from a competent authority.
The move by the IIMs comes in the wake of HRD ministry’s directive to all centrally-funded elite educational institutions, including IIMs and IITs, to implement the OBC reservation from this year. It has asked these institutions to ensure that the creamy layer is excluded from the purview of the reservation.
But those OBC candidates who make it to the general category in the merit list would be offered admission regardless of their creamy layer status.
The IIMs had earlier put on hold their admission process seeking a communication from the HRD ministry after the Supreme Court verdict on April 10 upholding the 27 percent reservation and excluding the creamy layer.
- Exclude 'creamy layer' from quota, apex court urged (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- IIM-Lucknow to help train SC, ST candidates - Sep 07, 2012
- IIM-C inducts largest ever batch - Jun 24, 2011
- Central varsities' OBC quota petition to be heard Monday (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- No stay on sub-quota quashing to hit 325 IIT aspirants - Jun 13, 2012
- Delhi government hikes OBC quota before municipal polls - Feb 27, 2012
- Exclude 'creamy layer' from quota, apex court urged - Aug 23, 2011
- No OBC reservation in minority institutions: Court - Jun 25, 2012
- Graduates eligible for OBC quota: Arjun Singh - May 17, 2008
- Can't touch seats reserved for OBC students: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Rajya Sabha passes amended central institutions act - Apr 27, 2012
- OBC's 10 percent relief is on eligibility marks: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Apex court for clarity on OBC students' admission (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Cabinet to examine apex court verdict on OBC quota - Apr 11, 2008
- Ahead of assembly polls, minorities given 4.5 percent quota in jobs (Fourth Lead) - Dec 23, 2011