IIMs are living organisations, not factories: Montek SinghMarch 30th, 2008 - 1:21 am ICT by admin
Ahmedabad, March 29 (IANS) Institutes like IIMs are living organisations and not mere factories churning out management graduates, said Montek Singh Ahluwalia, deputy chairperson of the Planning Commission, here Saturday. Such institutes need to be constantly strengthened, he said welcoming the central government’s move to set up a review committee to study the functioning of the Indian Institutes of Management.
He was speaking during his convocation address at the 43rd annual convocation of IIM-Ahmedabad. “It is a special privilege for me because I am not an alumnus of an IIM nor am I an MBA.”
He said half jokingly that by calling him for the occasion, the IIM-A has reaffirmed its commitment to the new mantra of inclusive growth.
“The graduates who receive their diplomas today will go out to the world with a degree that has global recognition,” he said. This is a tribute to the vision of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and Vikram Sarabhai, founder-director of IIM-A, for setting up this great institution for which a “beautiful building” was designed by Louis Kahn.
Today, having world-class institutes like the IIM-A is more important than ever before given the rapidly growing economy and fast paced reforms. To sustain the economic growth the country needs highly skilled managerial power, he said.
Referring to reports about the government’s moves to set up new IITs and IIMs in various states, he said. “I hope it is implemented speedily.”
- India among fastest growing economies in world: PM Manmohan Singh - Mar 27, 2011
- Hardwork and dedication the mantra to crack CAT, say toppers - Jan 12, 2012
- IIM-A seeks restoration of powers - Jul 22, 2011
- Gujarat to focus on education in a big way: Modi - Dec 27, 2010
- What's bothering Bihar's entrepreneurs? Ask 'MBA Sabziwalla' - Feb 01, 2011
- Fight corruption, IIM-Lucknow graduating students told - Mar 23, 2011
- Kamath, the force behind ICICI's rise (Profile) - May 01, 2011
- War of words over Jairam Ramesh slamming IITs, IIMs (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- IIM-Ahmedabad facing funds problem: Samir Barua - Jun 24, 2010
- Why is Uttar Pradesh 'Ulta Pradesh'? Experts debate - Aug 26, 2011
- Sibal asks IIMs not to hike fees - Apr 18, 2010
- Europe Asia Business School hosts IIM Ahmedabad Confluence 2010 in Pune - Nov 23, 2010
- Samsung to offer scholarships to IIM-A students - Jun 02, 2011
- IIM-C looks to corporates to fund expansion - Apr 03, 2011
- IIM-A developing sports management course - Jun 23, 2010