IIM-C conducts interviews despite court order

May 15th, 2008 - 6:18 pm ICT by admin  


Kolkata, May 15 (IANS) The Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta (IIM-C) went ahead and conducted interviews of candidates of other backward classes (OBCs) Thursday, a day after Calcutta High Court stayed the new quota policy at the business school. “The stay order was not issued on interviews but on the reservation of seats. We interviewed 20 OBC students today,” IIM-C chief administrative officer Dinesh Verma told IANS.

“Besides, we have not received any copy of the court order so far. We just received a letter on the stay order from petitioner Sayan Guha’s lawyer Neelava Banerjee,” he said.

“We will, of course, not finalise the admissions till we get the final decision from the Supreme Court or the Calcutta High Court,” he said.

The high court Wednesday stayed the OBC quota at the IIM-C till further hearing on the petition June 9.

IIM aspirant Guha has challenged the human resource development ministry’s April 20 notification giving the go-ahead for OBC reservation in centrally funded higher educational institutes including the IIMs and the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).

Meanwhile, the ministry Thursday approached the Supreme Court to vacate the high court stay order.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe