IGNOU to launch centre for disabledOctober 16th, 2011 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 16 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) will soon establish the first resource centre for the disabled to provide them exclusive skill development courses.
The varsity’s National Center for Disability Studies (NCDS) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Kerala-based Society for Promoting Alternative Computing and Employment (SPACE), which in turn will establish many such centres across the country.
“A certificate programme on Information and Communication Technology (ICT) for the blind will enable them to access information on the internet, ‘read’ scanned pages of printed material on computer, create digital information and communicate with others using ICT,” said NCDS director Arun Banik.
“Within two years, ten more centres will be established in the country,” he added.
According to Banik, the centers shall act as learning cum ICT related activity hub for the disabled.
“It will undertake production of audio content such as audio books, provide public internet access to the visually challenged, act as technology support centres and thus evolve into activity hubs for the visually challenged in the future,” he added.
The course as well as the research centre will leverage on a Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) which will ensure that students have the freedom to copy the software and share it with their friends, he added.
- Visually challenged teachers learn computers - Aug 04, 2011
- Delhi University dons a disabled-friendly avatar - Jul 10, 2011
- IGNOU to offer electronics, IT courses - Sep 22, 2011
- IGNOU trains teachers to develop online courses - Aug 13, 2011
- Workshop to motivate disabled kids, parents - Aug 12, 2012
- IGNOU starts online training programme for teachers - Dec 26, 2010
- IIT Bombay starts training 10,000 teachers - Jun 25, 2012
- 45,000 Kerala students to be trained in IT - Dec 21, 2010
- IGNOU launches new course in telecentre management - Feb 07, 2010
- Individuals, groups working to empower the disabled awarded - Aug 14, 2012
- IGNOU gets $9.5 mn Japanese aid - Mar 15, 2012
- HCL to provide IT services to Etisalat customers - May 09, 2011
- Five Kerala schools get infotech upgrade - Dec 29, 2010
- Ghana aims to be West Africa's IT hub - with India's help - May 30, 2011
- IGNOU gets new web site on Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: activity hub, alternative computing, audio books, audio content, banik, digital information, disability studies, foss, ignou, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, information and communication technology, memorandum of understanding, mou, national open university, ncds, open source software, public internet access, skill development courses, technology support centres