IGNOU to have centre for the deafOctober 2nd, 2011 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 2 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) will inaugurate the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC) for the deaf community Oct 4, the varsity announced Sunday.
The centre has been set up with the support of the social justice and empowerment ministry.
“The centre is the realisation of the long cherished dream of the deaf community in India. It is an exclusive education project for teaching, learning, training and capacity building for the vast deaf population. It will be a full time teaching and training center for Indian Sign Language combined with distance teaching/learning opportunities,” said IGNOU Vice Chancellor V. N. Rajasekharan Pillai in a statement.
“This research centre is the first of its kind in India with centres attached to IGNOU. There will be zonal/regional centers in different geographic regions of the country. The center would consist of short term, medium and full fledged programmes for both the un-trained and experienced teachers of the deaf schools,” he added.
Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Mukul Wasnik and Human Resource Development and Communications Minister Kapil Sibal will be present at the inauguration Tuesday.
- IGNOU gives India first sign language training centre - Oct 04, 2011
- IGNOU plans training centre for hearing disabled - Aug 20, 2011
- IGNOU spreads awareness about deafness - May 27, 2012
- Mukul Wasnik opens sports meet of students with disabilities at Delhi University - Feb 05, 2011
- IGNOU to empower the less privileged - Aug 05, 2011
- IGNOU mulls new initiatives to expand reach - Apr 19, 2011
- IGNOU to partner with US community colleges - Aug 21, 2011
- A job fair for the differently-abled - Jul 19, 2011
- 'IGNOU has brought teachers-students closer' - Jan 09, 2011
- Security in neighbourhood cause for concern: Antony - Sep 14, 2011
- IGNOU inks pact to promote indigenous knowledge - Jul 12, 2011
- IGNOU signs MoUs with three Chinese varsities - Jun 02, 2011
- Mukul Wasnik to inaugurate 'Sambhav' tomorrow - Apr 21, 2010
- 'IGNOU at par with international institutions' - Jan 01, 2011
- IGNOU can address skill deficit among youth: Vice chancellor - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: capacity building, deaf community, deaf population, deaf schools, distance teaching, education project, geographic regions, human resource development, ignou, indian sign language, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, kapil sibal, mukul, national open university, pillai, regional centers, sign language research, social justice, vice chancellor