IGNOU inks pact to promote indigenous knowledgeJuly 12th, 2011 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) Tuesday inked a pact with NGO Shuri Foundation to promote the country’s indigenous knowledge and traditions.
The memorandum of understanding (MoU) between the two aims to develop certificate, diploma, degree and skill training progammes in the subjects of traditional knowledge systems, leadership and management, self-management, psychology and consciousness studies, faculty training and women’s empowerment.
“It is through the distance learning mode that knowledge about our cultural resources like philosophy, sufism, yoga, ayurveda, architecture, grammar, natyashastra etc can be invigorated,” said Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) president Karan Singh, who was present on the occasion.
“In this changing world where old structures are collapsing and new are being born, awareness about our own indigenous systems like patanjali, unani, etc. needs to be invoked. We alone are able to combine the east with the west,” he added.
According to IGNOU Vice Chancellor V. N. Rajasekharan Pillai, such programmes are common all over the world but it is a new concept in India.
“Certification is the requirement of all developing countries and we aim to reach the unreached,” he said.
“IGNOU and Shruti foundation will jointly organize workshops and courses to safeguard and promote “guru-shishya parampara (teacher-student tradition)” in various fields,” said a varsity official.
- IGNOU to offer courses on traditional knowledge systems - Jul 12, 2011
- Classical dancers showcase best of 'guru-shishya' tradition - Oct 03, 2010
- IGNOU to open Centre for Sindhi Language & Culture - Aug 23, 2011
- Classical musicians meet PM, seek funds to promote arts - Dec 08, 2010
- IGNOU opens admission to tourism courses - Jul 16, 2012
- Two lakh students join IGNOU community colleges - Jun 20, 2011
- IGNOU to offer courses in warehousing, accounting - Aug 10, 2011
- Sibal stresses on spreading distance education - Apr 02, 2011
- Campaign to educate journos on immunization - Jul 01, 2011
- 'Fine arts teaching is lagging in universities' - Feb 17, 2011
- Ajmer set to host first global Sufi fest - Sep 22, 2011
- IGNOU inaugurates seminar on Sanskrit - Nov 27, 2009
- I'm trying to maintain classical music's purity: Debu Chaudhuri (Interview) - May 28, 2010
- Indian varsities powerhouses of knowledge, says Kalam - Nov 02, 2010
- IGNOU launches programmes in Chinese - Jul 07, 2011