IGNOU centre at Tihar gets quality certificateDecember 9th, 2010 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 9 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) study centre at Tihar Jail here has received a certificate of quality from the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), an official said Thursday.
Tihar Jail has study centres of IGNOU and National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) inside its premises, where respectively 2,640 and 1,900 inmates are enrolled.
Courses like Bachelor of Arts and Commerce, diploma in creative writing, post-graduate diploma in distance education are offered.
The courses are free and study materials like notebooks, pens etc. are provided to the inmates.
IGNOU is one of the world’s largest open universities, which provides education to 1.5 million students.
- Giving wings of education to lives behind bars - Apr 03, 2011
- Tihar inmates receive job offers, courtesy IGNOU - Apr 21, 2011
- July 30 last date for admission to IGNOU programmes - Jul 24, 2012
- Thanks to IGNOU, prisoners hopeful of jobs - Mar 04, 2010
- Sibal stresses on spreading distance education - Apr 02, 2011
- IGNOU opens admission to tourism courses - Jul 16, 2012
- IGNOU centres to be more disabled-friendly - Feb 22, 2012
- IGNOU to offer courses in warehousing, accounting - Aug 10, 2011
- IGNOU starts admissions for information security courses - Jun 18, 2012
- Haryana jail starts study centre for prisoners - Jan 16, 2010
- IGNOU opens admissions to courses on Gandhi - Jun 25, 2012
- IGNOU launches five new courses on gender and development - Jun 21, 2011
- IGNOU to empower the less privileged - Aug 05, 2011
- IGNOU launches diploma in women and gender studies - May 10, 2012
- IGNOU's art workshop in Tihar - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: 5 million, bachelor of arts, bureau of indian standards, certificate of quality, creative writing, distance education, ignou, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, inmates, national institute of open schooling, national open university, New Delhi, nios, open universities, pens, post graduate diploma, quality certificate, study materials, tihar jail