IGNOU can address skill deficit among youth: Vice chancellorMarch 22nd, 2011 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 22 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), with its country-wide network, has the greatest potential to tackle the issue of skill deficit among youth, the varsity’s vice chancellor V.N. Rajasekharan Pillai said Tuesday.
Pillai said the varsity’s over 3,000 study centres “can network with the local educational and training institutions for providing modular skills in different trades and vocations… skill upgrading initiatives should be taken up by the various units of our university.”
He added that the government has declared 2010-2020 as the ‘Decade of Innovation’ and we need to achieve inclusive and sustainable growth in education, skill development, health care, energy, agriculture and infrastructure.
“Creating opportunities for our youth to become the largest pool of skilled and technically trained human resource is the greatest challenge before us in this decade.
“It is estimated that India has the capacity to create 500 million certified technicians and skilled workers by 2020. This would provide employment opportunities to our young people and the large number of school drop-outs,” added Pillai.
IGNOU has presence in 36 nations and partners with 60 institutions. The university has signed over 50 collaborations with top universities in Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia, South America and the US.
- IGNOU mulls new initiatives to expand reach - Apr 19, 2011
- IGNOU to partner with US community colleges - Aug 21, 2011
- Sibal stresses on spreading distance education - Apr 02, 2011
- 'IGNOU committed to promoting Hindi' - Jan 13, 2011
- IGNOU to offer courses in warehousing, accounting - Aug 10, 2011
- IGNOU to power India-Africa Virtual University - May 25, 2011
- Security in neighbourhood cause for concern: Antony - Sep 14, 2011
- More professional courses from IGNOU - Jul 10, 2010
- Two lakh students join IGNOU community colleges - Jun 20, 2011
- IGNOU to award skill-recognition degrees to Indian Navy sailors - Jun 24, 2011
- IGNOU to offer diploma in child rights - Sep 15, 2011
- Choose any subject from any course at IGNOU - Aug 15, 2011
- IGNOU backs e-learning - Aug 26, 2011
- IGNOU for paradigm shift in research policy: Vice chancellor - Apr 25, 2011
- 'IGNOU at par with international institutions' - Jan 01, 2011
Tags: africa australia, asia europe, collaborations, europe africa, greatest challenge, human resource, ignou, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, national open university, New Delhi, pillai, school drop outs, skill development, skilled workers, sustainable growth, top universities in asia, training institutions, varsity, vice chancellor