‘IGNOU at par with international institutions’January 1st, 2011 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 1 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) is at par with other national and international institutions of higher learning, Vice-Chancellor V.N. Rajasekharan Pillai said Saturday.Pillai said that IGNOU has established itself as a national resource centre and a provider of quality education through its high-quality self-learning material and innovative programmes.
“Since 1985, the university has come a long way by contributing significantly to the development of higher education in the country through the Open and Distance Learning mode,” Pillai said in a statement.
The university offers 473 study programmes through over 3,500 courses to cumulative student strength of over three million students.
“Education is disseminated in conventional, as well as emerging inter-disciplinary areas, such as consumer protection, disaster management, environment, human rights, women empowerment and child development, resettlement and rehabilitation, among others,” Pillai added.
According to the varsity officials, the university develops its academic programmes through 21 schools of study and has established a network of 61 regional centres and over 3,000 study centres all over the country to provide easy access and effective support services to the learners.
IGNOU has entered into bilateral and multilateral alliances with several countries like Australia, United Kingdom, France, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Ethiopia, Madagascar, and Liberia.
The university has facilities for audio, video, radio, television, interactive radio and video counselling, as well as tele-conferencing.
“IGNOU has also been identified as the nodal agency for running a 24-hour educational TV channel- Gyan Darshan - in collaboration with other institutions of higher learning,” Pillai added.
- 'IGNOU has brought teachers-students closer' - Jan 09, 2011
- IGNOU-KVS sign MoU for teachers training - Mar 14, 2011
- IGNOU mulls new initiatives to expand reach - Apr 19, 2011
- Choose any subject from any course at IGNOU - Aug 15, 2011
- IGNOU to power India-Africa Virtual University - May 25, 2011
- IGNOU to bring out book on silver jubilee lectures - Apr 20, 2011
- Two lakh students join IGNOU community colleges - Jun 20, 2011
- IGNOU backs e-learning - Aug 26, 2011
- Sibal stresses on spreading distance education - Apr 02, 2011
- IGNOU to open Centre for Sindhi Language & Culture - Aug 23, 2011
- 'IGNOU committed to promoting Hindi' - Jan 13, 2011
- IGNOU to spread e-literacy at grassroots level - Jul 26, 2011
- IGNOU to empower the less privileged - Aug 05, 2011
- President Patil to lay foundation of IGNOU campus - Aug 30, 2011
- IGNOU, FDDI launch 8 new courses - May 03, 2011
Tags: disaster management, disciplinary areas, educational tv, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, institutions of higher learning, interactive radio, international institutions, management environment, national resource centre, nodal agency, pillai, quality self, regional centres, student strength, students education, tele conferencing, vice chancellor, video radio, women empowerment