Iftar party at Hanuman temple in Uttar PradeshOctober 1st, 2008 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 1 (IANS) In a rare gesture of communal amity, Muslims visited a temple here to participate in an Iftar party thrown by their Hindu friends.Organised Monday evening at a Hanuman temple in Govindpuri area in Chinhat locality, the party witnessed as many as 150 members from both communities.
“It was a memorable experience for us,” Mohammed Alam told IANS.
“We covered our heads with skull caps and hankies and then sat forming two queues on either side of Bajrang Bali,” he recalled.
“Initially, plates full of dates were served before us. This was followed by deep-fried kachauries.”
As the Azan (call for prayers) from a mosque a few metres away “fell on our ears, we together started enjoying the delicacies kept before us,” recounted Alam, 55, who owns a cement shop in the same locality.
The party was organised for the first time in Govindpuri, which is a home to nearly 1,000 people.
Members of Hindu community, who organised the party, said it aimed to bridge the rift between the two communities in the backdrop of terror activities taking place in various parts of the country.
“It is true that Hindu-Muslims relations can’t be changed overnight,” said Kripal Singh, 64, an advocate residing in the same locality, who helped in organising the party.
“Such a gathering is an attempt to share thoughts and ideas that can help bridge the inter-community relations, he added.
- A temple where Hindus welcome Muslims for prayers - Sep 17, 2009
- Hindu temple comes up in Bihar - with Muslim help - Feb 05, 2012
- Special Eid prayers planned ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 09, 2010
- In Ayodhya, a temple that is open to all faiths - Sep 25, 2010
- Helped by Muslims, Hindus throng Kashmir shrine - May 29, 2012
- Ayodhya verdict: Okay to Ram temple, land to Muslims too (Roundup) - Sep 30, 2010
- Lucknow residents pray for peace ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 19, 2010
- Hindu-Muslim amity at Kashmir shrine - Jun 09, 2011
- Hanuman Jayanti celebrated in Agra - Apr 06, 2012
- Jammu observes shutdown against police action - Mar 17, 2012
- Muslims help in temple construction in Ramadan in Bihar - Jul 28, 2012
- Ayodhya judgement new chapter for national unity: Advani (Lead) - Sep 30, 2010
- Faith cuts through cold at Kashmiri saint's Urs (With Images) - Jan 21, 2012
- People clash with police, dozen injured in Kashmir town - Mar 15, 2012
- Ayodhya verdict an answer to those who doubted us, say BJP leaders - Oct 01, 2010