IFS officer to be tried for human traffickingJune 9th, 2012 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) A Delhi court Friday framed charges of criminal conspiracy and corruption against an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer and three others in a 2005 human trafficking case and ordered the trial to begin next month.
Special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Judge Kanwaljeet Arora also framed charges of cheating and forgery against IFS officer Rakesh Kumar, a former director general of Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), and fixed July 17 for commencement of trial.
The other accused are Shiv Kumar Sharma, a draftsman working with Punjab Agricultural University; Balwinder Kaur, a local Punjabi singer; and Gurbej Singh, a constable in the Punjab Armed Police.
The CBI contended that the IFS officer had in 2005 facilitated the empanelling of a bogus cultural group “Mehak Punjab Di” to illegally traffic eight people to Germany at the Indian government’s expense.
Another accused, Hargulab Singh, has turned approver.
- Jaya Jaitley to stand trial in 'defence deal' case (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Teachers' jobs scam: Court paves way for Chautala's trial - Jul 28, 2011
- Rajendra Sethia trial to run on daily basis, rules apex court - May 18, 2012
- Delhi land scam: Charges to be framed against 10 accused - May 05, 2012
- Court begins trial against Jaya Jaitley in defence deal - Apr 20, 2012
- 2G scam: Framing of charges against 17 accused Saturday - Oct 21, 2011
- Court notice to CBI on Jaya Jaitly's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for taking bribe (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- CBI takes 13 years to scrutinise documents, gets court flak - Mar 04, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Housing scam: Ex-registrar to stand trial - May 07, 2012
- Charges framed against former cooperative societies registrar - Jul 26, 2012
- 2G scam: Order on charges against the 17 accused Oct 22 - Oct 14, 2011
- Hawara, four held guilty for Delhi twin blasts in 2005 (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Former BJP chief Bangaru convicted for bribery, sentencing Saturday (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: agricultural university, armed police, cbi, central bureau of investigation, constable, criminal conspiracy, cultural group, delhi court, director general, draftsman, forgery, human trafficking, indian foreign service, indian government, july 17, kanwaljeet, kumar sharma, New Delhi, punjabi singer, rakesh kumar