IFFI parties cancelled to mourn Mumbai attacks, V.P. Singh’s deathNovember 28th, 2008 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 28 (IANS) The horrific multiple terror strikes in Mumbai, coupled with the death of former prime minister V.P. Singh, have taken the sheen off the 39th International Film Festival of India (IFFI). The Goa government Friday announced the cancellations of all peripheral activities of the event. “The governing body has decided to call off all peripheral and cultural activities at the 11 IFFI venues across the state in order to pay condolences to our former prime minister and due to security reasons following the attack on Mumbai,” Chief Minister Digambar Kamat said.
“All cultural programmes, music, the Kingfisher village and parties stand cancelled,” he added.
This announcement puts an end to the atmosphere of festivity built around the IFFI. Renowned singers like Kavita Krishnamurthy and Sonu Nigam were expected to perform live at the various venues.
Police sources said the issue of threat perception vis a vis the less secure peripheral venues in far flung regions of Goa was discussed at a high level meeting, which was chaired by the chief minister Thursday.
“The police force can sufficiently cover the main venue. But expecting the already stretched force to cover 11 other venues, especially in the rural areas of Goa, was a virtually impossible task,” a police official said.
Kamat also announced that the state would observe a seven day mourning to mark the death of V.P. Singh.
“This is connected to respect for our former prime minister. This festival is secondary to us,” Kamat said, adding that the main activity of screening films would continue unimpeded.
- 'Filmmakers not being involved in film popularisation in Goa' - Dec 01, 2011
- Kamat's constituency gets Rs.15 crore to build cinema halls - Nov 25, 2011
- IFFI aims to be 'people friendly' - Sep 05, 2011
- IFFI kicks off Wednesday, half day in government offices - Nov 23, 2011
- Corruption case against former Goa chief minister closed - May 19, 2011
- Goa protests being edged out of IFFI organisation - Sep 08, 2010
- Parrikar given clean chit in IFFI scam case - Feb 24, 2011
- CBI to file charge sheet in IFFI scam by year-end - Oct 07, 2010
- Goa CM ducks queries on Amitabh's absence from film fest - Nov 20, 2010
- Seven drowned in Goa as schoolbus falls into river (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Kamat's statment recorded in film fest scam case: CBI - Jun 01, 2010
- IFFI 'foisted' on people, says Goa Church - Nov 24, 2011
- 'Activist' demands Kamat's arrest in mining controversy - Sep 11, 2012
- Mike Pandey urges centre, Goa to bury IFFI hatchet - Jul 19, 2011
- No midnight session for Goa liberation's 50th anniversary: Kamat - Dec 02, 2011