IEDs were prepared with sophistication: Home secretaryJuly 14th, 2011 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) The ammonium nitrate-based improvised explosive devices (IEDs) used in the Mumbai blasts were “not crude” and indicated that they were prepared with “some level of sophistication”, union Home Secretary R.K. Singh said here Thursday.
“Preliminary investigations indicate the use of IEDs with ammonium nitrate-based explosives (in the Mumbai blasts). The IEDs are not crude. They indicate some level of sophistication,” Singh told reporters here, a day after triple blasts in Mumbai Wednesday evening killed 17 people and injured 131.
The union home ministry has been updating the media regularly about the latest on the terror attack.
Chief of the premier anti-terror National Investigation Agency (NIA) S.C Sinha was in Mumbai and was overseeing the probe into the blast case, the home secretary said.
The NIA, he said, has three teams led by an inspector general assisting the investigators from the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad and the Mumbai police.
Besides, four forensic teams have visited the blast sites and are assisting the investigators, Singh said.
- PM wants perpetrators caught as terror plot remains mystery - Jul 14, 2011
- Mumbai bombs may have been deadly cocktail of explosives - Jul 14, 2011
- 'Terrorists may have used safe house near blast sites' - Jul 16, 2011
- 'Terrorists behind bombings may not have been locals' - Jul 15, 2011
- NIA claims breakthrough in Samjhauta blast case - Mar 30, 2011
- No intelligence on Mumbai terror strikes that killed 17: Chidambaram - Jul 14, 2011
- Promising but no conclusive leads in Delhi blast: Chidambaram - Sep 09, 2011
- Indian Mujahideen hand in bomb attack being probed (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- No breakthrough in Delhi terror attack a week later - Sep 13, 2011
- Government says Mumbai blasts are terror strikes - Jul 13, 2011
- Fertiliser bomb fears persist despite ammonium nitrate ban - Aug 09, 2011
- Cracker powder used in Agra blast - Sep 18, 2011
- Probe widens in Mumbai blasts, detonators remain mystery - Jul 18, 2011
- Delhi blast: Investigators still grappling for clues, toll 13 - Sep 08, 2011
- Ammonium nitrate used in Pune blasts: Patil (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: ammonium nitrate, explosive devices, explosives, forensic teams, home secretary, ieds, inspector general, investigation agency, investigations, investigators, july 14, mumbai blasts, mumbai police, national investigation, New Delhi, sinha, sophistication, terror attack, union home ministry, wednesday evening