Idol thieves’ gang busted in HaryanaJuly 26th, 2008 - 12:15 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 25 (IANS) The Haryana Police Friday claimed to have busted an international gang of idol thieves with the arrest of two men and the recovery of Jain temple idols from them. The police arrested Sanjay and Sandeep of Bhiwani district and recovered the idols of Padam Prabhu, Chanda Prabhu, Mahavir Swami and Chobisi Bhagwan stolen from Digambar Jain Mandir in Haryana’s Jhajjar town.
“Acting on a tip-off that the two men were going to Sarafa Bazar to try and sell the idols, the police arrested them,” a police spokesman said.
He added that the arrested men had confessed that the idols were stolen with the help of one Bijendra of Bhiwani in January 2008.
The police also seized idols worth millions of rupees in the grey market.
A case of theft has been registered against the duo and the police is on the look out for the third accused.
- Three vehicle thieves arrested - Feb 10, 2011
- Haryana bus strike hits thousands (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Three arrested for stealing railway passenger's jewellery - Sep 17, 2010
- Maharashtra celebrates Mahavir Jayanti - Apr 05, 2012
- Police bust bike-lifter gang in Gurgaon - Jun 01, 2012
- Haryana cop, four youths arrested in gang rape case - Jun 18, 2011
- Hindu temple burgled in Dhaka - Feb 03, 2011
- Vehicle thieves' gang busted in Punjab, 6 held - Nov 09, 2010
- Chandigarh police bust gang of auto thieves - Mar 07, 2010
- Rs.40 lakh looted from Haryana farmer - Jun 30, 2012
- Four held for stealing phones worth Rs.1 crore - Feb 12, 2011
- Four arrested with antique idols worth Rs.5 crore - Jun 07, 2010
- Two automobile thieves held - Jan 29, 2011
- Two arrested with Rs.2 crore antique idol - Aug 02, 2011
- Police official among three nabbed for car lifting - Jan 02, 2011