Iconic Left leader’s body cremated in TripuraJune 9th, 2011 - 1:00 am ICT by IANS
Agartala, June 8 (IANS) Iconic communist leader Baidyanath Majumder was cremated Wednesday evening at his ancestral home town Kailashahar in north Tripura as thousands of people from all walks of life bade him a tearful farewell.
Majumder, 88, one of the communist father figures in Tripura, was cremated with full state honours. He died here Tuesday.
The body of “Baidynath daa or Sital daa,” as he was popularly known, was cremated as a large number of tribals, non-tribals and tea garden workers and leaders of all political parties looked on.
“He (Majumder) was like my father and mother. I have lost everything,” said Sukanya Debbarma, a 60-year-old tribal woman, with tears rolling down on her cheeks.
A huge procession led by top Left leaders, including Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) central committee member Bijon Dhar and Mridul Dey, started from here in the morning with the body of Majumder.
Thousands of men, women and children thronged the two sides of the 165 km stretch of road from Agartala to Kailashahar to catch a glimpse of the legendary Marxist leader, who was elected to the state assembly five times between 1977 and 1998.
- Tripura announces holiday to mourn Left leader - Jun 07, 2011
- An iconic Communist figure of Tripura dies - Jun 07, 2011
- Tripura mulls reserving jobs for Muslims - Apr 18, 2011
- Communist movement won't fail in India: Prakash Karat - Jan 29, 2012
- Tripura Congress, CPI-M trade charges of wooing militants - Jun 27, 2012
- Tripura CPM sees ploy behind American festival - May 02, 2012
- Veteran Tripura Communist leader dead - Jun 18, 2010
- Veteran Tripura Congress leader dead - Sep 07, 2010
- CPI-M fumes at denial of site in Agartala for rally - Jan 28, 2012
- CPI-M for more autonomous bodies - Apr 15, 2010
- Communist leader, 106, dead - Mar 03, 2012
- 'Congress, INPT conspiring to oust Left in Tripura' - Jun 25, 2012
- Left wants forest land norms relaxed for non-tribals - Apr 01, 2011
- Trinamool won't join hands with Congress for Tripura polls - Jun 17, 2012
- Left rout will affect democratic movement: CPI-M - May 13, 2011
Tags: agartala, ancestral home, central committee member, communist leader, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dey, dhar, father and mother, m central, marxist leader, mridul, north tripura, state assembly, state honours, tea garden, tearful farewell, tribal woman, walks of life, wednesday evening