ICICI bank pulled up for making pesky callsOctober 22nd, 2008 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 22 (IANS) Delhi High Court Wednesday refused to stay contempt proceedings against the ICICI bank for making unsolicited calls to mobile phone users. The bank had approached the court for staying a contempt petition filed by advocate Nivedita Sharma in the state consumer commission.
A bench comprising Justice Vikramjit Sen and S.L. Bhayana, while hearing the case cited their own experiences of receiving such calls from the bank and said: “At all times of the day we get calls from ICICI bank. You think you are above the law.”
Sharma in the petition has stated that she had been receiving calls from the bank despite a direction from the state consumer commission to stop harassing consumers.
On her complaint, the commission in December 2006 imposed a penalty of Rs.5 million on Airtel and other cellular operators for their failure to control calls made by the telemarketers and banks.
The commission also imposed Rs.2.5 million penalty on ICICI Bank and American Express Bank for making repeated calls to the mobile users, she said.
She claimed that the commission had ordered that in case these calls do not stop the consumers could approach the commission against the bank and telemarketers.
- This time, mobile phone users hope for real relief from pesky calls - Dec 05, 2010
- TRAI to disconnect individual numbers making pesky calls, messages - Nov 04, 2011
- Relief from unwanted bulk SMSs in six weeks: Sibal - Aug 19, 2011
- Mobile advertising perfect for small firms - Sep 11, 2011
- No more pesky calls, SMSs from Tuesday - Sep 26, 2011
- Regulation preventing pesky calls comes into effect - Sep 27, 2011
- Differentiate unsolicited calls from messages: Tata Tele - Sep 09, 2010
- Pesky calls to nag for some more time - Feb 28, 2011
- TRAI issues unsolicited commercial communications regulations - Dec 01, 2010
- TRAI disconnects connections of telemarketing companies for pesky calls - Aug 10, 2011
- Pesky SMSs again - via new routes - Nov 06, 2011
- Government to curb unsolicited commercial calls - Aug 27, 2010
- TRAI to start registration of telemarketers from Jan 15 - Jan 14, 2011
- Court pulls up consumer panel for overstepping powers - Jan 16, 2010
- No more pesky calls, messages from Sep 27: TRAI - Sep 05, 2011