Iceland president warns of disappearing Himalayan glaciersAugust 31st, 2008 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Aug 31 (DPA) Wrapping up a four-day visit to Bangladesh Sunday, Iceland’s President Olafur Ragnar Grimsson sounded a grim warning that the Himalayan glaciers were disappearing and would be gone in the next 40 to 70 years.The high-speed melting of the mountain ice spelt dangers for the southern Asian countries like Bangladesh that are dependent on the glaciers for sources of water.
These countries situated at the Himalayan foothills face a major challenge which could generate conflicts and grievances across their sensitive national boundaries.
On Friday, Grimsson was given a cordial reception on arrival for an official trip to Bangladesh, highlight of which was his chairing an international symposium on climate change.
Grimsson stressed increasing regional efforts to help the farming community in south Asia to cope with climate change.
Bangladesh, a low-lying delta with three large river systems, is particularly vulnerable to climate change, experts at the symposium in Dhaka said.
- Abu Dhabi hosts energy summit - Jan 21, 2012
- Iceland president keen on Indian investment in energy sector - Jan 15, 2010
- Iceland invites Indian investment in renewable energy - Jan 14, 2010
- 'Himalayan Meltdown' wins at Worldfest film festival - Apr 23, 2012
- Iceland seeks cooperation in clean energy, IT (With Image) - Jan 13, 2010
- Believe it or not - glaciers are growing! - Jan 28, 2011
- World's tallest peaks most vulnerable to climate change - Dec 04, 2011
- Some Himalayan glaciers advancing, despite global warming - Jan 25, 2011
- Iceland volcano pushes down 1,000 tonne boulder - Nov 28, 2010
- Regional cooperation needed to protect Himalayan glaciers: Jairam - Oct 05, 2010
- Bill Clinton chats up Christie Brinkley at billionaire party - Aug 10, 2010
- 65 percent Himalayan glaciers melting: Scientist - Jul 19, 2011
- Scientists develop tool to predict tsunamis, landslides - Apr 18, 2011
- Melting Himalayan glaciers 'could impact billions of people' - Nov 16, 2010
- IPCC looking for communications manager to tackle crisis situation - Dec 27, 2010