ICC postpones Champions Trophy until next yearAugust 24th, 2008 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Aug 24 (IANS) Ending days of speculation, the International Cricket Council (ICC) has finally postponed the Champions Trophy, shcheduled to be held in Pakistan next month, after several teams had refused to tour the strife-torn country over security fears.”The ICC Board today agreed unanimously to postpone the Champions Trophy, scheduled to take place in Pakistan from Sept. 12, until October 2009,” an official ICC statement said Sunday.
Pakistan will retain the right to host the tournament but if other members continued to express reservations over issues of safety and security then the Board would have the right to “relocate the event”, it was agreed during a telephone hook-up of ICC Directors.
South Africa had pulled out of the tournament Friday and Australia, New Zealand, England were also expected to miss the event.
The Board would meet in September to discuss the details of the postponement.
“There was complete support and sympathy for the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and the situation it finds itself in,” ICC President David Morgan said.
“However, there was also a realisation that, under the circumstances, some of the teams had reservations about touring there which could not be removed.
“Under the circumstances it was considered prudent to postpone the event to October 2009, and we all hope conditions may be more acceptable for all the competing teams.”
The ICC Board consists of the Chairman or President from each of the 10 Full Members plus three Associate Member representatives. Also present at ICC Board meetings is the ICC President, the ICC Chief Executive and the ICC Vice President. ICC’s Principal Advisor, Inderjit Bindra, also attended the teleconference Sunday.
- ICC withdraws Champions Trophy from Pakistan - Feb 01, 2009
- ICC may allow local match officials in Pakistan - Mar 07, 2012
- ICC goes along with Indian board, DRS is not mandatory - Oct 11, 2011
- ICC drops associate countries from 2015 World Cup - Apr 05, 2011
- Ashraf confident Pakistan will host visitors in 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- 2011 cricket World Cup shifted from Pakistan (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- ICC increases participating teams for World Twenty20 - Apr 16, 2012
- Pakistan's domestic T20 winners to play in Champions League: BCCI - May 12, 2012
- Dhaka High Court postpones Bangladesh's cricket tour to Pakistan - Apr 19, 2012
- ICC poised to dump Champions Trophy for new Future Tours Program - Nov 29, 2010
- South Africa being tapped to host ICC Champions Trophy - Mar 11, 2009
- PCB to get compensation for Champion Trophy switch - Mar 17, 2009
- South Africa to host ICC Champions Trophy - Mar 16, 2009
- ICC Board decides to hold Champions Trophy in September-October 2009 - Oct 15, 2008
- Bangladesh will tour Pakistan: ICC - Apr 15, 2012