ICC cannot force India to tour Pakistan, says LorgatDecember 11th, 2008 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 11 (IANS) The International Cricket Council (ICC) cannot force India to tour Pakistan if the Indian government does not clear the tour, world cricket’s chief executive Haroon Lorgat said here Thursday.”The ICC can only encourage its member countries to tour Pakistan, but if the governments decide otherwise, then there is nothing that we can do,” said Lorgat.
India’s scheduled tour of Pakistan in January this year is still to be cleared by the government. And many believe that the tour might not take place in the wake of last month’s terrorist attacks in Mumbai.
Responding to Pakistan’s charge of “double standards” with teams touring India despite acts of terrorism but not Pakistan for the Champions Trophy, Lorgat said: “I think, the two situations are to be viewed in different context.”
“Champions Trophy is a multi-nation event while in the present case (England vs India), it is a bilateral series. There is nothing that the ICC can do if players and teams refuse to travel to a particular country.”
Lorgat felt that the decision to play India-Pakistan series at a neutral venue was up to the respective authorities.
“Rather than not having the two countries play each other at all, they can consider venues such as Abu Dhabi which has excellent facilities,” he said.
- ICC may allow local match officials in Pakistan - Mar 07, 2012
- International cricket unlikely to return to Pakistan in near future: ICC - Apr 16, 2010
- No international cricket in Pak for time being: ICC - Apr 21, 2010
- ICC denies giving evidence to PCB regarding Pak players' involvement in match-fixing - Apr 16, 2010
- Flower wants England to strive for World Test Championship - Aug 15, 2011
- Lorgat calls on cricketing world to challenge India - Jan 14, 2012
- ICC takes away India-England World Cup game from Eden Gardens (Roundup) - Jan 28, 2011
- ICC applauds Pak-Australia series as a triumph of cricket spirit - Jul 12, 2010
- ICC executive board to discuss Test championship - Oct 09, 2011
- Pak to play more 'home' series at neutral venues 'until security situation is clear': Subhan - Dec 26, 2010
- All seniors will be available for selection: BCCI - May 02, 2011
- ICC CEO Lorgat to step down next year - Nov 22, 2011
- England will get a chance to claim No.1 Test spot - Jul 14, 2011
- Hope cricket can bring India and Pakistan closer: Lorgat - Mar 28, 2011
- Pakistan want to host ICC event in 2018 - Jun 30, 2011