ICC agrees to have split roles for chairman and presidentApril 16th, 2012 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, April 16 (IANS) The International Cricket Council (ICC) has finally agreed to go for a constitutional amendment to spilt the role of the president by creating a new post of chairman who won’t have any voting rights.
During its executive board meeting, held here Sunday, the ICC decided to go for the split roles and now the amended Articles will now be placed before the ICC Annual Conference in Kuala Lumpur at the end of June for consideration and approval.
A resolution to split the roles was taken in the last meeting of the executive board and Sunday the directors confirmed the necessary amendments to the constitution to split the role of the ICC president and chairman of the board.
The role of the president will be reformed after the Annual Conference in 2014 to separate the chairman of the board position from that of the ICC president. Until then, the current roles for the ICC president and vice-president will remain, after which the vice-presidency will cease to exist and a new post of chairman of the board created.
The term of office for the new ceremonial role for the president will be one year and will rotate, as it currently does, among the members. The president will not be a voting member of the board.
The chairman, who will be appointed by the board for a maximum of six years — two terms of three years each — will also be non-voting.
Until the president’s role has been confirmed, the joint nomination of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for the role of vice president 2012-14 was deferred until the amended Articles have been considered by ICC Annual Conference.
During the meeting, the nominations committee reported that they have arrived at a shortlist of four candidates who will be interviewed in due course to replace Haroon Lorgat, the current ICC chief executive, who vacates his position at the end of the Annual Conference in June 2012.
- ICC agrees to split roles for president, chairman (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- ICC to reduce the role of president - Feb 01, 2012
- ICC goes along with Indian board, DRS is not mandatory - Oct 11, 2011
- Pawar steps down as ICC president, Issac takes over - Jun 28, 2012
- ICC board proposes Dave Richardson as CEO - May 10, 2012
- ICC requests Clive Lloyd to continue - Apr 16, 2012
- Alan Isaac to take over ICC's presidency from Pawar - Jun 23, 2012
- ICC annual meet may be stormy over UDRS, World Cup format - Jun 24, 2011
- Ex-Oz PM Howard peeved over being passed over for ICC VP nomination - Jul 31, 2010
- ICC defers vote on Howard's vice-presidential claims due to lack of support - Jun 30, 2010
- Howard to be next ICC vice president - Mar 02, 2010
- ICC defers proposed amendment to president's poll - Jun 30, 2011
- ICC CEO Lorgat to step down next year - Nov 22, 2011
- Modi to represent board chief at high-profile ICC meeting - Apr 17, 2010
- ICC confirms nomination of Isaac as ICC vice-president - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: amendments to the constitution, bangladesh cricket board, bcb, board meeting, board position, ceremonial role, chairman of the board, constitutional amendment, dubai, international cricket council, kuala lumpur, member of the board, necessary amendments, nominations committee, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, role of the president, shortlist, vice presidency, voting rights