IAF to set up defence radar station in MizoramDecember 4th, 2011 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
Aizawl, Dec 4 (IANS) The Indian Air Force (IAF) will install an air defence radar station (ADRS) in Mizoram bordering Myanmar and Bangladesh, an official said here Sunday.
“The high-tech ADRS will be set up at Zopuitlang in Lunglei district in southern Mizoram. Over 300 acres of land has been identified jointly by the IAF and the district administration,” a Mizoram government official told reporters.
Eastern Air Command chief Air Marshal S. Varthaman Saturday met with Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla and discussed the matter.
The official said Varthaman also discussed with the chief minister the proposed construction of a defence enclave to accommodate at least four fighter jets at the Lengpui airport in western Mizoram.
“Varthaman also sought land for setting up a base station for the IAF aircraft at Lengpui airport, the only one in the state under Mamit district,” the official stated.
The air marshal has also agreed that he would take steps to ensure that the maximum number of Mizo youths were recruited in the IAF.
Mizoram shares a 404-km international border with Myanmar and 318-km border with Bangladesh.
Varthaman has informed the chief minister about IAF’s willingness to assist the Mizoram government in organising an international festival on life, culture and traditional customs of different ethnic societies.
He said a state-of-the-art fully equipped archery range of international standard is being set up by at the Eastern Command headquarters in Meghalaya capital Shillong.
- Air Force to set up defence radar station in Mizoram - Jan 19, 2011
- IAF to set up radar, station fighters in Mizoram - Jun 02, 2011
- Changes in IAF top brass in the offing - Jul 22, 2011
- Varthaman IAF's Eastern Air Command chief - Aug 01, 2011
- Chidambaram's Mizoram visit cancelled due to bad weather - May 18, 2011
- New IAF vice chief, Eastern air commander take charge - Aug 01, 2011
- Six abducted by militants in Mizoram - Mar 26, 2012
- Reactivated airfield in Arunachal strategic: IAF chief - Nov 18, 2011
- India re-activating air strip in Arunachal - Nov 17, 2011
- Mizoram militant leader arrested in Delhi - Jul 19, 2012
- Mizoram launches special literacy campaign - Dec 04, 2010
- Help repatriate Reangs, Chidambaram tells Mizoram, tribal leaders - May 25, 2010
- Scattered Mizos must live in unity, says Lal Thanhawla - Dec 12, 2011
- Share intelligence, repatriate Reangs: Chidambaram (Lead, With images) - May 25, 2010
- Refugee repatriation from Tripura to Mizoram starts April 26: Chidambaram - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: adrs, air defence, air marshal, archery range, chief minister, command chief, command headquarters, district administration, ethnic societies, fighter jets, indian air force, international border, life culture, meghalaya, mizoram aizawl, mizoram government, proposed construction, radar station, shillong, traditional customs