IAF Sukhoi squadron gets President’s StandardMarch 6th, 2012 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 6 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Tuesday presented a Standards, a highly prestigious decoration and recognition, to Indian Air Force (IAF) 24 Squadron that operates the frontline Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter jets.
Patil also bestowed the honour on 111 Helicopter Unit that operates Cheetah helicopters in high altitude areas.
The ceremony, attended by IAF chief Air Chief Marshal Norman Anil Kumar Browne, was held at the Bareilly air base in Uttar Pradesh.
A ceremonial parade and a fly past by various aircraft, including the newly-inducted Advanced Light Helicopter MkIII, Jaguars and Su-30s in various formations formed part of the ceremony. An aerobatics display by the Su-30, also featured on the occassion.
The 24 Squadron, formed on February 16 1962, participated actively in 1962 Sino-Indian war and the 1971 India-Pakistan war.
The squadron, named Hawks, was the first to operate the Su-30MKI from Leh airfield in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir.
Its motto is ‘Navijitya Nivartanam’ which means ‘No Return Without Conquest’.
The 111 Helicopter Unit, raised in January 1963, has participated in the India-Pakistan conflict of 1965 and the 1971 India-Pakistan war.
The unit has created a world record for the highest landing by a Cheetah helicopter at an altitude of 23,250 feet.
The 111 Helicopter Unit has been undertaking humanitarian relief operations and casualty evacuation. The unit helicopters have saved several casualties and stranded mountaineers. Called the ‘Snow Tigers’, the unit’s motto is ‘Apatsu Mitram’ or ‘Friends in Distress’.
- IAF's Sukhois to roar close to Pakistan border - Sep 30, 2011
- Canadian air force units to return to Indian roots - Nov 17, 2011
- Agni-IV, C-130J, IAF woman officer among firsts at R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
- IAF to induct more fighters, radars in northeast - Jul 27, 2011
- Reactivated airfield in Arunachal strategic: IAF chief - Nov 18, 2011
- IAF inducts C-130J-30 Super Hercules tactical airlift aircraft - Feb 05, 2011
- Crashed MiG's one engine found, no trace of pilot - Oct 27, 2011
- IAF inducts second SU-30 squadron in northeast - Mar 01, 2011
- Search for MiG-29 wreckage, pilot on: IAF - Oct 20, 2011
- New planes' induction will reduce air crashes: Antony - Feb 05, 2011
- IAF to stage exercise in Gujarat, Rajasthan - Nov 09, 2011
- IAF expects combat jet selection within a year - Aug 04, 2010
- Attack choppers to add teeth to Indian Army's strike corps (With Images) - May 18, 2011
- India quietly activates airstrip near Chinese border - Apr 27, 2011
- India re-activating air strip in Arunachal - Nov 17, 2011
Tags: air chief marshal, anil kumar, casualty evacuation, cheetah, fighter jets, helicopter unit, humanitarian relief operations, india pakistan conflict, india pakistan war, indian air force, indian war, jammu and kashmir, ladakh region, light helicopter, occassion, president pratibha patil, squadron, su 30mki, sukhoi, world record