IAF plane crashes near Chennai, pilots safe (Lead)January 31st, 2012 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 31 (IANS) An Indian Air Force (IAF) trainer aircraft crashed into a lake near here early Tuesday but both pilots ejected safely, officials said.
The two-seater Kiran trainer aircraft crashed as it was returning to the Tambaram air force station after a routine training sortie.
It then plunged into the Ayyanchery lake a police officer told reporters, adding that the wreckage had been pulled out of the water.
The pilots were rescued after they ejected safely and have been taken to a nearby hospital.
“An inquiry has been ordered to find out what caused the crash,” a defence ministry spokesperson said.
- IAF Mirage combat jet crashes, pilots safely bail out (Second Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- IAF Mirage-2000 crashes, pilots bail out (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- IAF Mirage jet crashes, fleet grounded temporarily (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- IAF Mirage-2000 crashes, both pilots safe - Feb 24, 2012
- IAF Sukhoi jet crashes near Pune, pilots safe (Third Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Top officer survives IAF Mirage-2000 crash (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- MiG-21 crashes in Punjab, pilot safe - Sep 06, 2011
- IAF Mirage-2000 crashes, pilots eject safely (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Fighter jet crashes in northwestern India, killing the pilot - Aug 02, 2011
- Trainer aircraft crashes, two pilots eject safely (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- IAF's MiG fighter crashes, pilot safe (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- MiG-27 crashes in West Bengal, pilot safe - Sep 24, 2010
- IAF Sukhoi jet crashes near Pune, pilots safe - Dec 13, 2011
- MiG 27 crashes in West Bengal, debris kills one (Third Lead) - Jul 24, 2010
- Second Sukhoi crashes within an year, pilots safe (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2009