IAF MiG crashes, pilot safe (Lead)February 4th, 2011 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
Gwalior, Feb 4 (IANS) A Soviet-era MiG-21 of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed in Madhya Pradesh Friday but there were no casualties as the pilot ejected safely, an official said. The incident occurred at around 11.20 a.m. at Anup Nagar, 150 km southwest of this Madhya Pradesh town, an IAF spokesperson said here.
“The pilot ejected safely and was picked up the IAF,” he said.
The crash comes after the Indian Army Wednesday lost two of its experienced pilots when their helicopter crashed into a residential area in Maharashtra’s Nashik city.
In the last three years, a total of 60 aircraft, including MiG-21 and helicopters, have crashed, killing 43 personnel of the Indian armed forces and five civilians.
The IAF is in the process of replacing its ageing MiG-21s that have earned the sobriquet “flying coffins” due to the high rate of air crashes in the late 1990s and the early years of this century.
In 2010, the Indian armed forces suffered over a dozen air accidents including four army Cheetah crashes at Nagrota and Kalsi in Jammu and Kashmir, Sikkim and Nagaland.
An Indian Air Force Cheetah helicopter crash-landed in the Siachen glacier in the second week of November but without any casualties.
- IAF's MiG fighter crashes, pilot safe (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- MiG fighter crashes, no loss to life - Feb 04, 2011
- Army loses two pilots in Nashik chopper crash (Second lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Fighter jet crashes in northwestern India, killing the pilot - Aug 02, 2011
- Yet another MiG-21 crashes, pilot bails out - Oct 07, 2011
- MiG-21 crashes in Punjab, pilot safe - Sep 06, 2011
- Accident-prone MiG-21 to be flown only by experienced pilots: IAF - Sep 01, 2011
- IAF Mirage jet crashes, fleet grounded temporarily (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- IAF MiG-27 crashes in Rajasthan, pilot safe (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Two army pilots killed as chopper crashes in Nashik locality (Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- IAF loses another MiG-21, pilot safe (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- Indian Air Force MiG-21 crashes in West Bengal, pilot safe - Feb 19, 2010
- New planes' induction will reduce air crashes: Antony - Feb 05, 2011
- Four years, 33 combat plane crashes, 27 MIGs lost - Mar 19, 2012
- MiG fighter crashes in Punjab, pilot safe (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
Tags: 21s, air accidents, air crashes, anup, cheetah, helicopter crash, indian air force, indian armed forces, indian army, jammu and kashmir, kalsi, kashmir, madhya pradesh, maharashtra, nagaland, nashik city, residential area, siachen glacier, sikkim, sobriquet