IAF jet crashes, pilot safeSeptember 1st, 2008 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad/New Delhi, Sep 1 (IANS) A MiG-29 fighter jet of the Indian Air Force (IAF) Monday crashed into the Arabian Sea off Gujarat during a training sortie, but the pilot ejected and was safe, an official said.The MiG-29, from the 28 Squadron of IAF, had taken off from the Jamnagar air base.
“The aircraft crashed nearly 50 km west of Jamnagar at about 11.50 a.m. It was on a routine training mission,” the official said. The pilot ejected safely.
An inquiry has been ordered into the accident. The Indian Navy’s divers from INS Valsura were deployed to take out the flight data recorder from the sea, the official added.
The IAF has suffered six crashes this year. And this is the fifth MiG-29 crash since 2006.
The earlier five crashes involved an MiG-27, two MiG-21s, an Advanced Jet Trainer Hawk and a Kiran trainer. A pilot was killed in one of them.
- MiG-21 crashes in Punjab, pilot safe - Sep 06, 2011
- IAF Mirage jet crashes, fleet grounded temporarily (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- IAF's MiG fighter crashes, pilot safe (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- Fighter jet crashes in northwestern India, killing the pilot - Aug 02, 2011
- Accident-prone MiG-21 to be flown only by experienced pilots: IAF - Sep 01, 2011
- New simulators for training air force pilots - May 09, 2012
- Yet another MiG-21 crashes, pilot bails out - Oct 07, 2011
- MiG fighter crashes, no loss to life - Feb 04, 2011
- MiG crashes due to pilots' inexperience: IAF chief - Oct 08, 2011
- Nine IAF men killed as two choppers collide (Third Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Massive search for MiG-29 wreckage on - Oct 26, 2011
- Avalanche threat looms large over MiG search - Oct 28, 2011
- IAF MiG-27 crashes in Rajasthan, pilot safe (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- IAF loses another MiG-21, pilot safe (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- IAF plane crashes near Chennai, pilots safe (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012