IAF jet crashes, pilot killed (Second lead)January 21st, 2009 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Jan 21 (IANS) A jet aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) Surya Kiran aerobatic display team crashed at Bidar in north Karnataka Wednesday, killing its pilot Wing Commander R.S. Dhaliwal, a defence spokesman said. “The aircraft crashed at 8.35 a.m. shortly after it took off from the Bidar Air Force Station (about 750km from here), on a regular training sortie,” IAF spokesman Wing Commander Mahesh Upasani told IANS on phone from New Delhi.
“The pilot died instantaneously when the jet crashed. It caught fire soon after it got airborne from the air base,” Upasani added.
The IAF has ordered a court of inquiry to find out the exact cause of the mishap.
The sub-sonic Kiran-Mk II aircraft in the Surya Kiran fleet are also used by the air force to enable its rookie pilots transit from turboprop trainers to jets.
“There are no reports of any damage to civilian life or property,” Upasani added.
- IAF loses two aircraft in a day, pilot killed (Third Lead, Changing dateline) - Jan 22, 2009
- Surya Kiran aerobatics team to take to skies again - Oct 08, 2011
- Top officer survives IAF Mirage-2000 crash (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- India to buy 20 more Hawk jets for aerobatics team - Sep 14, 2012
- Yet another MiG-21 crashes, pilot bails out - Oct 07, 2011
- IAF''s Surya Kiran pilot killed in air crash in Karnataka - Jan 21, 2009
- MiG-27 crashes in West Bengal, pilot safe - Sep 24, 2010
- MiG-21 crashes in Punjab, pilot safe - Sep 06, 2011
- Dazzling fly-past, daring aerobatics mark Aero India launch (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- IAF shortlists Swiss aircraft for training rookie pilots - Jun 16, 2011
- Indian aerobatics teams enjoy good safety record (Comment) - Mar 14, 2010
- Aerobatic stunts, flying thrills mark AeroIndia finale - Feb 13, 2011
- IAF Mirage-2000 crashes, pilots eject safely (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- IAF awaits cabinet nod to buy Pilatus trainer - Nov 18, 2011
- New simulators for training air force pilots - May 09, 2012