IAF Jaguars to conduct military exercise with OmanOctober 10th, 2009 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) The Indian Air Force’s (IAF) deep penetration strike aircraft Jaguar will fly down to Oman this month for a military exercise.
“To further military diplomacy and for addressing issues of inter-operabililty, IAF will be conducting a series of international exercises. Our fighters will be going to Oman for a bilateral exercise,” IAF chief Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik told IANS.
The Royal Omani Air Force is the only other force in the world which still flies the British-built Jaguar, known as Shamsher in the IAF.
About half complement of the squadron, about five or six jets, are likely to go for the exercise to be conducted in the third week of October. The IAF’s ‘Flaming Arrows’ Jaguar squadron will be participating in the exercise.
“With only two air forces flying the combat jets, there have been training exchange programmes with Oman on this front,” a senior IAF official said Saturday, requesting anonymity.
India and Oman have agreed to step up cooperation by upgrading their joint military exercises and already have a memorandum of understanding on defence in place. Last year, Oman offered to provide berthing facilities for Indian Navy’s warships patrolling the piracy-hit waters off the shores of Somalia.
Oman military personnel are already being trained in Indian military training institutions.
Oman has also been seeking assistance from the Indian armed forces to set up credible supply systems for their defence equipment.
- Indo-Oman air exercise 'Eastern Bridge' to foster defence cooperation ties - Oct 14, 2009
- IAF to join US Red Flag exercise in 2013 - Oct 03, 2011
- Indian, Omani air forces to hold joint exercise - Oct 14, 2009
- German, Indian air forces may have joint exercises soon - Jul 20, 2011
- Indian Air Force holds war games in northeast - Mar 01, 2012
- Ace fighter pilot Browne is new IAF vice chief (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- India to induct Akash missiles, holds war game in northeast (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- IAF chief to visit Singapore air show - Feb 13, 2012
- IAF flies homegrown Tejas fighter jet for operational clearance - Jan 10, 2011
- Air Marshal Browne to be next Indian Air Force chief - May 20, 2011
- Norman Browne assumes charge as IAF chief (Lead) - Jul 31, 2011
- Antony witnesses Indian Navy's battle readiness exercise - Feb 08, 2012
- Joint Indian, Singapore air force training from Oct 14 - Sep 30, 2011
- India's own fighter jet Tejas to join air force Monday - Jan 09, 2011
- Russia snubs India; cancels navy, army war games - May 31, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,