IAF flies commando plane fleet, displays operational fitnessJune 19th, 2012 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 19 (IANS) In a display of its operational readiness and air power, the Indian Air Force (IAF) has flown six of its planes meant for inserting commandos for special operations all at once, indicating the fleet is 100 percent serviceable.
The C-130J fleet, inducted in the 77 ‘Veiled Vipers’ squadron of the IAF, took to the skies simultaneously from its home base at Hindon in Ghaziabad on the outskirts of the national capital last week, according to an officer in the IAF headquarters here.
“The six planes flew for about an hour and returned to the base,” an officer said.
The C-130J, capable of carrying 92 paratroopers with their gear or 128 fully equipped combat troops, was inducted in February 2011. The six planes were ordered by India from the US manufacturer Lockheed Martin in 2008 and the first plane was delivered to the IAF in December 2010.
“The six-aircraft fleet was carrying out the tactical flying operation, as part of its training. It was to display that all the six C-130J can be flown out to carry about a battalion-strength troops if necessary,” the officer said.
The aircraft is capable of doing low-level flying undetected to assist in covert missions. It can land on all sorts of airstrip surfaces.
- IAF inducts US-made aircraft in transport fleet (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- US delivers last Super Hercules cargo plane this weekend - Dec 23, 2011
- IAF's first C-130J aiflifter to arrive this week - Jan 16, 2011
- C-130J reaches Hindon ahead of induction into IAF - Feb 04, 2011
- India inducts first C-130J, but without critical equipment (Second Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- India takes delivery of first C-130J airlifter (With image) - Dec 17, 2010
- C-130J's induction in IAF win-win situation for India and US: Roemer - Feb 05, 2011
- Two more Super Hercules planes on way to India (With Images) - Jun 17, 2011
- India among C-130 plane operators at Lockheed meet - Oct 18, 2011
- India to get first Super Hercules airlifters next week - Dec 10, 2010
- IAF inducts C-130J Super Hercules transporter - Feb 05, 2011
- Agni-IV, C-130J, IAF woman officer among firsts at R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
- IAF inducts C-130J-30 Super Hercules tactical airlift aircraft - Feb 05, 2011
- C-130J to be inducted into Indian Air Force on Feb 5: Air Chief - Feb 03, 2011
- Defence modernisation: Critical deals materialised, others faced time overruns (2011 in retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: aircraft fleet, airstrip, battalion, c 130j, combat troops, commando, commandos, covert missions, ghaziabad, hindon, indian air force, lockheed martin, manufacturer lockheed martin, New Delhi, operational readiness, outskirts, paratroopers, six planes, special operations, squadron