IAF chief to review aircraft projects in RussiaAugust 9th, 2012 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 9 (IANS) The Indian Air Force chief, Air Chief Marshal N.A.K. Browne, will be in Russia for three days beginning Friday to review the joint projects for a fifth generation combat plane and a medium transport aircraft, apart from attending an air show to mark that nation’s air force’s centenary.
Browne, who left for Moscow Thursday, is also scheduled to meet the Russian Air Force Commander-in-Chief Colonel General Viktor Bondarev during the visit.
“The Indian Air Force (IAF) chief left on a three-day visit to Russia, which is hosting a Russian Air Force Centenary Air Show at Moscow, to mark 100 years of the Russian Air Force,” an IAF release said here.
“During the visit, the air chief is scheduled to meet the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Air Force, Colonel General Viktor Bondarev, and attend the international military conference ‘Common Sky’ besides visiting the Zhukovsky airfield for familiarisation with the fifth general fighter aircraft (FGFA) and Medium Transport Aircraft (MTA) programme,” it added.
He is also slated to visit Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC), Russian Aircraft Corporation (RAC) MiG and Rosoboronexport, the organisations in Russia that deal with defence ties and sale of defence equipment.
India and Russia enjoy robust military ties, with nearly 70 percent of the Indian military equipment coming from the Russian stable. The two nations have moved from a buyer-seller relationship in the second half of the 20th century to a joint developers’ relationship in military ties.
The FGFA and MTA, for which joint development deals were formalised in December 2008 are the latest that symbolise the changing dynamics of their defence ties in recent years.
–Indo-Asian News Service
- India, Russia to review defence ties - Oct 04, 2011
- Russian Air Force to get 180 new aircraft - Aug 11, 2012
- Medvedev replaces Russian Navy commander - May 07, 2012
- India to get 250-300 advanced jets co-developed with Russia (Lead) - Oct 07, 2010
- India, Russia to soon ink advanced fighter deal - Oct 07, 2010
- HAL inks pact to make multi-role aircraft - May 29, 2012
- 'Antony won't witness fifth generation combat plane flight' - Sep 30, 2011
- Antony flags delays in Russian defence supplies - Oct 05, 2011
- HAL to make multirole aircraft with Russian firm (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Defence ministry panel to consider combat jet deal next month - Sep 22, 2011
- India's military purchases: Only the best should do (Comment) - Nov 10, 2011
- IAF chief on four-day visit to France - May 21, 2012
- Russia, US, Canada to hold anti-terror exercise - Aug 01, 2011
- Up above the world so high, IAF in the sky (Oct 8 is the IAF's 78th anniversary) - Oct 07, 2010
- Russia continues to dominate Indian military aviation - Aug 19, 2010
Tags: air chief marshal, air force chief, air force colonel, air force commander, aircraft corporation, aircraft projects, asian news, combat plane, defence equipment, defence ties, development deals, fifth generation, fighter aircraft, indian air force, military conference, military ties, russian air force, russian aircraft, technical cooperation, transport aircraft