IAEA warns against attacks on states with suspected nuclear plantsJune 7th, 2008 - 5:42 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, June 7 (DPA) The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has warned against threats of military action against states with suspected nuclear plants, charging that the threats are undermining the international Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), a German news magazine reported Saturday. IAEA Director General Mohammed ElBaradei referred to the bombing of the al-Kibar complex in Syria’s north-eastern desert by Israeli aircraft in September last year and to Israeli warnings on Iran’s nuclear facilities, in an interview with the German news magazine Der Spiegel.
“One undermines the international treaty framework with unilateral military action,” ElBaradei said, warning of a “historic change” taking place.
In an interview released Friday, Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Shaul Mofaz said he believed Israel would have no choice but to attack Iran in order to prevent it from developing weapons of mass destruction.
“If Iran continues its programme to develop nuclear weapons, we will attack it,” Mofaz, a former top general, said in an interview in the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper to be published Sunday.
ElBaradei told Der Spiegel he saw a rising threat to world peace from nuclear arms and the increasing readiness to bomb nuclear plants.
He also attacked Iran’s leadership. “Iran’s willingness to cooperate leaves a lot to be desired. We have urgent questions,” he said of IAEA inspections of Iran’s nuclear sites.
Iran’s leaders were sending out a message that they could “build a bomb in a relatively short time,” ElBaradei said.
He also called for “absolute transparency” from Syria. An IAEA delegation is to visit the country June 22-24 with the aim of visiting the bombed al-Kibar complex and other sites.
- Israeli attack on Iran will be big mistake: ElBaradei - May 16, 2009
- El-Baradei was 'too soft on Tehran', says WikiLeaks cable - Feb 10, 2011
- ElBaradei lashes out at Israel over bombed site in Syria - Jun 18, 2009
- Egypt crisis: US sizing up ex-IAEA chief El-Baradei - Feb 01, 2011
- 'Peace accord with Palestinians more urgent for Israel than Iran attack' - Sep 11, 2012
- Slight decrease in uranium enrichment by Iran: IAEA - Aug 29, 2009
- Draft Iran deal has Israel worried - Oct 24, 2009
- Israel would be insane to attack Iran: ElBaradei - May 17, 2009
- Danger in Iran's nuclear program exaggerated, says IAEA chief - Oct 18, 2009
- IAEA approves Syria nuclear aid despite concerns - Nov 27, 2008
- Iran warns Israel of 'painful reply' if attacked - Jun 10, 2008
- IAEA finds no nuclear material in Syria - Sep 23, 2008
- IAEA trying to dry up A.Q. Khan network: ElBaradei - Sep 30, 2009
- Uranium traces found at Syrian nuclear site: Diplomats - Nov 11, 2008
- Israel capable of attacking Iran nuclear facilites: ex-general - Jun 28, 2008