IAEA Board to consider India inspection agreement on Aug 1July 15th, 2008 - 6:35 am ICT by IANS
Vienna, July 15 (DPA) The governing body of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will meet on Aug 1 to consider adopting India’s nuclear inspection agreement with the IAEA, the organization’s press office confirmed late Monday. The 35 member states of the IAEA Board of Governors are currently reviewing the draft of the so-called Safeguards Agreement that would give the Agency’s inspectors access to Indian civilian nuclear reactors.
India’s greater transparency is part of its nuclear agreement with the United States, under which New Delhi has agreed to separate its civilian nuclear energy sector from the nuclear weapons programme. In return, the US would provide nuclear fuel and technology for atomic energy production.
Western diplomats in Vienna and non-proliferation advocates in the US have voiced concern that the safeguards agreement allows India to take unspecified “corrective measures” if its nuclear fuel supply were interrupted.
One European diplomat said it would be “an escalating measure rather than corrective measures” if it meant India could cease IAEA inspections after nuclear supplies ended, possibly in the wake of an Indian nuclear weapons test.
India is set to brief IAEA Board members on the Safeguards Agreement Friday, a source close to the Agency said.
India’s United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government faces a confidence vote in parliament on July 22 over the nuclear deal with the US. Communist parties say the pact would compromise India’s strategic sovereignty.
After the IAEA Board approves the inspection agreement, the Nuclear Suppliers Group will have to change its export control rules, as India is not party to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Only then will the US Congress ratify the nuclear pact with India.
- UAE calls for n-weapons free Middle EAst - Sep 21, 2012
- IAEA to refer Syrian nuclear issue to UNSC - Jun 10, 2011
- Atomic regulator's nod for fuel loading at Kudankulam (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Pressure builds on Iran, Israel N-programmes - Jun 07, 2010
- US lauds India's commitment to n-safeguards - Sep 30, 2011
- With atomic regulator's nod, Kudankulam reactor being fuelled (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- US,India seal re-processing accord - Mar 29, 2010
- Iran allows IAEA to inspect new enrichment site - Apr 25, 2010
- Pakistan to become world's fourth-largest nuclear arsenal state by end of decade: Expert - Mar 31, 2011
- New sanctions target Iran's nuclear ambitions, not its people, UN says - Jun 10, 2010
- Atomic regulator gives fuel loading clearance for Kudankulam - Sep 21, 2012
- IAEA board agrees to set up nuclear fuel bank - Dec 04, 2010
- No dilution of NPT in India n-deal: US - May 01, 2010
- IAEA nuke inspectors could be thrown out of Iran - Jun 11, 2010
- IAEA says India yet to remove all ambiguities in draft safeguards pact - Jul 19, 2008