IAC demands cartoonist Aseem Trivedi’s releaseSeptember 10th, 2012 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 10 (IANS) Condemning the arrest of cartoonist Aseem Trivedi in Mumbai, India Against Corruption (IAC) Monday demanded that he be “unconditionally released” and “baseless charge of sedition” against him be withdrawn.
The IAC, in a statement, said: “…the use of sedition law against Aseem Trivedi is blatantly illegal and portrays sign of a paranoid state that does not behoove a mature democracy like India… his harassment smacks of vendetta against anti-corruption movement.”
“IAC demands that Aseem Trivedi be unconditionally released and all charges against him, including the baseless charge of sedition be withdrawn instantly.”
The anti-corruption group said that it stood for freedom of expression and was anguished by the growing culture of intolerance for creative expression in the public domain.
“There can be two views about the content of some other cartoons put up by him on his website, or indeed about their appropriateness but these are matters to be judged by the public, and not by the police,” the IAC said.
- IAC demands cartoonist Trivedi's release - Sep 10, 2012
- IAC slams action against protests, cartoonist's arrest (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Free cartoonist Aseem Trivedi, demands Kejriwal (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist sent to judicial custody, government faces flak on issue (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2012
- Police cut short quizzing cartoonist Aseem Trivedi (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi's questioning cut short, sent to judicial custody (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Press Council chief slams sedition charge against cartoonist - Sep 10, 2012
- Cannot target national symbols in cartoons: Government - Sep 10, 2012
- Aseem Trivedi walks out of jail (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Current times worse than emergency: Advani - Sep 12, 2012
- Family stands by jailed cartoonist, coal minister heckled - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi gets bail, refuses to be freed till charges dropped (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi to be released Wednesday - Sep 12, 2012
- Explain sedition charges against cartoonist, court tells police - Sep 14, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi released (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012