I will shoot myself if Congress loses power: Andhra ministerNovember 21st, 2008 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Nov 21 (IANS) A minister in Andhra Pradesh’s Congress government is so confident of his party retaining power in the next year’s state assembly elections that he has even bet his life on it.Minister for Forests S. Vijayramaraju says he is sure Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy will become the chief minister for a second term. He has declared that he would shoot himself with his revolver if this did not happen.
“The Congress will win the coming elections and Rajasekhara Reddy will once again become the chief minister. I will shoot myself with my revolver if this does not happen,” said the minister.
He was addressing a meeting of farmers at Sitanagaram in Srikakulam district of north coastal Andhra Pradesh.
The minister’s shocking statement came as the ruling party is gearing up for the assembly elections due to be held in March-April next year.
The main opposition Telugu Desam Party is trying to regain power while the Praja Rajyam Party floated recently by actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi is claiming to become an alternative to the Congress party.
Communist Party of India (CPI) state secretary K. Narayana has advised the minister to withdraw his challenge.
“There is no question of the Congress retaining power in the coming elections. It is better if the minister withdraws his challenge,” said Narayana, whose party along with CPI-M is likely to have an alliance with the TDP in the coming elections.
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Jagan party shocks Congress, wrests three council seats - Mar 23, 2011
- Two PRP leaders sworn in as Andhra ministers - Jan 19, 2012
- YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- YSR Congress elated over first win outside Kadapa - Mar 21, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Congress intensifies attack on Jagan in by-poll campaign - Jun 04, 2012
- YSR's brother among 39 Andhra ministers sworn in (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- YSR Congress headed for clean sweep in Andhra by-elections (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR's son, widow win by-elections by record margins (Third Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Campaigning ends for Kadapa by-elections - May 06, 2011
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- A bad day for Congress, says Andhra chief minister - May 13, 2011