I will play the Davis Cup final, says NalbandianOctober 16th, 2008 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Oct 16 (DPA) Despite dropping hints last week that he might boycott Argentina’s Davis Cup final with Spain after quarrelling with the federation, David Nalbandian confirmed his tennis dream would be to lift the trophy next month.”Yes, of course. We are in the final and I’m going to compete. I’ve never been in doubt about my participation,” Nalbandian said Wednesday after opening his title defence at the Madrid Masters with a 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 6-1 defeat of Tomas Berdych.
The world No.7’s temper had flared last week on his way to the Stockholm title as a war over apparent domestic influence in the sport boiled over.
Argentina bid for a first-ever Davis Cup trophy against Spain after losing finals in 1981 and in 2006.
The tie will be held in Mar del Plata after Nalbandian’s hometown of Cordoba was rejected as a venue for the November 21-23 final.
Nalbandian had told an Argentine newspaper last week that his participation might be in doubt.
“The Argentine association leaves much to be desired,” said the South American. “I’ve made sacrifices to play Davis Cup and what they are doing is not very pretty to see.
“I just hope that the association continues to support the players like they have said - if not, we will see if I play in the tie.”
Nalbandian Wednesday also repeated his decision not to play in the ATP Masters Cup in Shanghai the week before even if he qualifies, which he looks like doing.
“Going to Shanghai is not an objective of mine,” said the South American. “I’m focused on the Davis Cup and arriving there as prepared as possible.
“I’m not concerned about going to the Masters Cup or not.”
- Spain chooses Seville to host Davis Cup final - Oct 06, 2011
- Spain aims for fifth Davis Cup title - Dec 01, 2011
- Davis Cup final: Argentina win doubles to keep chances alive - Dec 04, 2011
- Davis Cup semifinals: Nadal plays Gasquet, Djokovic against Nalbandian - Sep 15, 2011
- Nalbandian pleased his Davis Cup gamble paid off - Mar 24, 2010
- Rusty Davydenko to open for Russia; Spain without Nadal - Jul 08, 2010
- Nalbandian put Argentina into Davis Cup semi-finals (Night Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Nalbandian suspicious of Davis Cup venue - Oct 11, 2008
- Argentina book place in Davis Cup semifinals - Apr 09, 2012
- Nadal forced out of Davis Cup final - Nov 11, 2008
- Spain make Davis Cup hat-trick with win over Argentina (Lead) - Nov 24, 2008
- Federer goes past big-serving Reynolds in Basel - Oct 22, 2008
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Argentina draws 1-1 with Croatia in Davis Cup - Apr 07, 2012
- Nalbandian returns to tennis with Davis Cup win - Jul 10, 2010