I was surprised by my exclusion for Romania tie:BopannaOctober 14th, 2008 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Tashkent, Oct 14 (IANS) Rohan Bopanna says he was surprised at being dropped from India’s Davis Cup world group play-off tie in Romania. Bopanna failed to find a place in the four memeber squad as he was replaced by 23 year-old Somdev Devvarman who had made his Davis Cup debut in India’s first Asia Oceania tie against Uzbekistan.
“I was surprised at not being on the Davis Cup team . Normally, we have five players traveling in a Davis Cup team for the away tie , but for the Budapest tie only four players were sent , ” Bopanna who is currently playing in Tashkent challenger said.
“I’ve been in the team from 2002 and also have played singles. All this while “I was told I was dropped because my performance was not good enough in the singles for a place in the squad”, he added.
Bopanna, who was among the players who rebelled against the captaincy of Leander Paes, said : “We had some differences in April, but I guess the issues we raised have been sorted out. We need to have a high team morale and good camaraderie amongst team members, which was missing.”
“Now that we are back to Group I , we have to keep fighting to get back into the World Group.”
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 2-0 lead against India - Apr 06, 2012
- Davis Cup: Somdev to lead India's challenge against Japan - Aug 19, 2011
- Paes to miss Davis Cup tie against Japan - Sep 13, 2011
- India to play Japan in Davis Cup World Group play-off - Jul 13, 2011
- Davis Cup: Somdev to spearhead India's challenge against Serbia - Jan 29, 2011
- Davis Cup: Somdev happy with weather and courts - Sep 15, 2011
- India may go back to grass if they play at home - Jun 20, 2011
- Davis Cup: India captain weighs his options - Sep 12, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna dropped from Davis Cup team - Aug 18, 2012
- Bhambri upsets Istomin in dead rubber - Apr 08, 2012
- Davis Cup: Uzbekistan take 3-0 lead against India - Apr 07, 2012
- Davis Cup: Somdev and Bopanna outclassed, India go 0-2 down - Sep 16, 2011
- India relegated to Group II after Davis Cup loss (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Sonia, Somdev get wild card entry for London Olympics - Jun 26, 2012