I want to do a raunchy item number: Sushmita (With image)July 13th, 2011 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 13 (IANS) Former beauty queen Sushmita Sen, who did item numbers in movies like “Fiza” and Nayak”, wants to get back into the dancing mode and is keen on doing a raunchy item number.
Sushmita was last seen in Anees Bazmee’s comedy “No Problem” last year.
“I like winning but I don’t like rat races as I can’t deal with Friday to Friday fluctuations. I do a ‘Main Hoon Na’ and people think I’ve arrived - with the saris, the glamour. And then I do a ‘Chingari’ and people hate it. But I experiment. Now I am taking a break and reading scripts.
“I do want to do an item number, to get back to dancing soon. Want to do a really raunchy item number,” she said in an interview on “The Date Season 2″, which will be aired on Bloomberg UTV Saturady.
During the show, she also reminisced about her first big success in 1994 when she was crowned Miss Universe and said that there were people who didn’t even know her name when she won the crown, but they were happy with the fact that an Indian had won.
“Everything in my life has been a cosmic accident. I was found at a nightclub and somebody suggested I go for Miss India. The entire experience (Miss India) opened up my eyes. Around the world people celebrated. They didn’t even know my name, but they knew India had won. That’s when it hit me that I had put India on the map,” said the 35-year-old.
Now a budding entrepreneur, who selects model from India to participate in the Miss Universe pageant through her company I Am She - Miss Universe India, Sushmita feels that beauty contests need attention.
“Beauty contests are a structured business and India needs to start looking at it like that. That’s what will dictate our performance at pageants. Latin America starts grooming girls at a very young age… Yes our win at that time helped to open up the market, but it’s not just about the cosmetics industry else china would be winning every year. It’s also about personalities. That’s where the public vote comes in,” she said.
“We don’t like to objectify women….because we celebrate women. (We) stick to the age group 18-26 because that’s the mandate but other than that, (we) have removed language barriers, allowed a girl with one eye because we thought she was beautiful. Not restricted to what is conventionally acceptable,” she added.
The actress, who adopted two girls Renee and Alisah, finds no reason to get married.
“My parents didn’t raise me to be someone’s wife or for that to be my sole identity. They supported me in my adopting two little girls. They know I am responsible and can make my own decisions and am good at prioritizing things in my life. They helped me to balance my work and kids,” she said.
- Fiji gets new Indian beauty queen - Sep 12, 2012
- Being beauty queen is about having character: Sushmita Sen - Jul 02, 2011
- Models bypass pageants for straight road to Bollywood - Aug 23, 2012
- Preity thanks SRK, Manisha Koirala 'Dil se' (Movie Snippets) - Jun 26, 2012
- I'm focussed on Miss World title: Vanya Mishra - Jun 23, 2012
- Indore girl wins Miss Asia Pacific 2012 (With Images) - Jun 19, 2012
- Sush's baby has her eyes on the crown! - May 24, 2010
- Giving up crown isn't easy: Miss Universe - Sep 11, 2011
- No Bollywood plans as yet: Vasuki Sunkavalli (With Image) - Jul 18, 2011
- I want to run around trees and sing with Shah Rukh: Manasvi Mamgai (Interview) - May 04, 2010
- (after 1)International titles evade Indian girls -- wonder why? - Sep 14, 2011
- Aishwarya will be a beautiful mum: Sushmita - Jun 30, 2011
- India has more beauty queens than most countries: Diana - Jun 14, 2012
- Sushmita hails Himangini's win as best gift - Jun 22, 2012
- I will get married: Sushmita Sen - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: beauty contests, beauty queen, chingari, comedy, cosmetics industry, cosmic accident, entrepreneur, fiza, fluctuations, glamour, latin america, miss india, miss universe pageant, New Delhi, pageants, personalities, rat races, saris, scripts, sushmita sen