I told Dravid not to even think about retiring: PontingAugust 25th, 2011 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Aug 25 (IANS) Former Australia skipper Ricky Ponting said he encouraged Rahul Dravid to “not even think about retiring” during the cricket Test series in India last October.
The former India skipper, who struck three centuries in the recent disastrous tour of England, was going through a lean patch last year, but Ponting told Dravid not to pay heed to the critics.
His only century in 2010 up till then had been against Bangladesh and he managed just one half-century during the series against Australia.
“I remember after our last series in India there was a lot of talk and speculation about Dravid being finished,” Ponting was quoted as saying in ESPNcricinfo.
“I actually went and found him at the end of the series and said ‘don’t you even think about retiring’ because I just saw some stuff in a few of his innings that suggested he was still a very, very good player.
“I just said ‘don’t let them wear you down, don’t let them get you down’. I received a similar text message before and after the Ashes from him as well.”
After that home series against Australia, Dravid scored two centuries against New Zealand before a string of low scores in South Africa.
- Older players like Tendulkar inspire Ponting - Dec 27, 2011
- Dravid, the ultimate team man (Tribute) - Mar 09, 2012
- Ponting not going anywhere: Micky Arthur - May 01, 2012
- Won't be retiring at the end of this Test: Ponting - Jan 24, 2012
- Ashraful feels he was not given a fair chance by selectors - Oct 20, 2011
- Clarke feels Ponting is victim of own high standards - Apr 21, 2012
- Ponting concedes he has played his last ODI - Feb 21, 2012
- Dravid could be an inspiration for Ponting - Dec 17, 2011
- Not worried with Zaheer's comments: Ponting - Jan 11, 2012
- Dravid fears Ponting's comeback against India - Dec 21, 2011
- First Test evenly poised as 15 wickets fall on third day (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Hope England nightmare won't be repeated: Dravid - Jan 11, 2012
- Irrepressible Tendulkar, Pujara help India trounce Oz by 7 wickets to sweep series 2-0 - Oct 13, 2010
- Sehwag says seniors don't need to retire - Jan 28, 2012
- Ponting vows to fight on, hopes to find form like Sachin - Mar 27, 2011