I never forced people to invest, says ‘conman’ JadejaJune 13th, 2009 - 5:47 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, June 13 (IANS) Ashok Jadeja, accused of duping large numbers of people of huge sums of money while posing as a godman, says he just ran a scheme of multiplying people’s money without forcing them to invest.
Jadeja told police Saturday that people “voluntarily” offered him money and he had never asked them to invest in his scheme, a crime branch official said here.
Police said they have in their possession a diary that belonged to Jadeja and has names of many investors who are believed to have offered him money.
The details in the diary are being scrutinised to identify the people who offered the money to Jadeja, the official said.
During his interrogation, the alleged conman said he was being hounded by even those who never invested with him.
The crime branch of police have detained for questioning Jadeja’s close relatives to ferret out the truth in the scam, the official added.
Jadeja was arrested May 31 with his wife Neetu in Ahmedabad just when they were trying to flee the city with Rs.1.9 crore (Rs.19 million). He is accused of duping thousands of people in Gujarat, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
- Conman's Bollywood connections to be probed: police - Jun 05, 2009
- Police probing if conman dabbled in stock market, real estate - Jun 08, 2009
- Gujarat conman's relative detained for questioning - Jun 07, 2009
- Ahmedabad court approves narco test on 'conman' Jadeja - Jul 10, 2009
- Notorious 'conman' Jadeja faces police heat - Jun 09, 2009
- Police to interrogate conman Jadeja's kin - Jun 08, 2009
- 'Conman' Jadeja bought land worth Rs.33 crore: Aide - Jun 11, 2009
- Conman held with Rs.1.9 crore in cash - May 31, 2009
- 100 residents file complaint against conman - Jun 06, 2009
- Delhi Police launch parallel probe against Ahmedabad conman - Jun 03, 2009
- Gujarat conman, his devotees to face income tax scrutiny - Jun 04, 2009
- Citibank manager who duped investors of Rs.100 crore untraced - Dec 29, 2010
- Conmen held in Delhi for bid to dupe northeast legislators - Jun 14, 2012
- Mastermind behind Rs.300 crore Citibank fraud held (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Conman posing as Babbar Khalsa militant arrested - Dec 13, 2010