I have to better my Beijing performance: Sushil KumarMay 9th, 2012 - 10:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 9 (IANS) India’s ace wrestler Sushil Kumar wants to better his Beijing Games’ bronze medal winning performance in the 2012 London Olympics.
“I have to better my Beijing performance. In Athens Olympics, I came close to winning a medal. I was in good form before Athens having beaten almost all the top wrestlers. But I could not win a medal in Athens. In Beijing, not many gave me any chance. But the wrestling community had faith in me and I didn’t prove them wrong,” said Sushil during a promotional event here Wednesday.
Aware of the expectations on him to win gold at the London Olympics, Sushil insists that he is not under pressure.
“I am aware of the expectations this time. The country is looking up to me. But I won’t be under any pressure. I have never taken any pressure on myself. In a way it is good that I have qualified late because I am in competitive mould. I am in a rhythm,” said Sushil while inaugurating the documentary series “Travelling with the PROS” made by Bikram Saluja on India’s top-seven sportspersons including him.
Sushil’s spate of injuries delayed his qualification.
“In Kazhakstan, I suffered due to shoulder and hand injury. But I still had confidence in myself. At the national camp in Sonepat people around me were also confident about my qualification and it helped me to stay motivated,” he said.
The Delhi boy said that he was reviewing the performances of his competitors in london.
“In China I was in good form. There I conceded only one point before qualifying. We are now watching the videos of competitors who have qualified in my category. We are also making the strategy how to counter them,” he said.
- It's now or never, says wrestler Yogeshwar (IANS kicks off its coverage of India's medal hopes at the London Olympics) - Jun 12, 2012
- We have to adapt to changing styles of wrestling: Sushil Kumar (Interview) - Apr 28, 2012
- Indian wrestlers Yogeshwar, Amit book London berth, Sushil fails (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- For Yogeshwar, London was 'now or never' - Aug 12, 2012
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- Stardom in Beijing, immortalized in London (Profile) - Aug 12, 2012
- Stardom in Beijing, immortalized in London (Profile) (Lead, correcting dateline) - Aug 12, 2012
- I have opened doors for other women wrestlers: Geeta Phogat - Aug 30, 2012
- Wrestler Sushil Kumar qualifies for London Games - Apr 27, 2012
- Carnival at Baprola village as Sushil scripts history - Aug 12, 2012
- Beijing is past, I have to start afresh in London: Bindra - Jul 26, 2012
- Treating Olympics as another shooting event: Ronjan Sodhi - Jun 02, 2012
- Olympics: I was hungry for this medal, says Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, ace, athens olympics, beijing performance, bikram saluja, bronze medal, china, confidence, documentary series, faith, gold, India, kazhakstan, New Delhi, olympics, rhythm, spate, sushil kumar, wrestlers, wrestling community