I have come back to be No.1 again: Schumacher

October 27th, 2011 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS  

Greater Noida, Oct 27 (IANS) Legendary Formula One racing driver Michael Schumacher Thursday said his comeback stint has not been to his expectations, though his intention was to be the No.1 again.

The 42-year-old German, who returned last year with Mercedes Benz, said winning races was his target, but he hasn’t tasted success yet.

“I have not met my expectations since my comeback in 2010. We all had different expectations, winning races was my target and that has not been achieved. All in the team (including team principal Ross Brawn) have tasted success in the past,” said Schumacher.

The seven-time World Champion retired from Formula One driving in 2006 and stayed with Ferrari as an advisor. He decided to return mid-way through 2009 as a replacement for Ferrari’s badly injured Felipe Massa, but a neck injury prevented his return.

In 2010, Schumacher signed a three-year contract with the newly-launched Mercedes GP team and for the first time since his debut in 1991 he ended the season without a win, pole position, podium or fastest lap. With three more races to go this season, Schumacher is placed eighth, one spot behind his teammate and compatriot Nico Rosberg.

Schumacher, who still holds the record for most wins (13) in a season (2004), said he returned to the sport to become No.1 and is working towards it.

“We all know what winning feels like and that is the only thing we want to taste. I came back only to be at the top and we are working towards that,” he said.

Schumacher, who was involved in an accident in the last race in South Korea after starting from the seventh position, said he was looking forward to score points over the weekend at the Buddh International Circuit.

“The outcome of the last race in Korea was unlucky for us, therefore I am extra-motivated to score some points next weekend, and reward the good work of the team,” he said.

Asked about his feelings on the inaugural Indian GP, Schumacher said: “We are in India for the first time. I see no reason why India should not have a long future in Formula One. We love to be here. It is a very high growing market. I’m looking forward to experiencing this new culture. There has been a lot of interest in the build-up to the event and, therefore, hopefully we will entertain a lot of new fans in India.”

With the world of motorports witnessing two deaths on the track last week, Schumacher said Formula One safety standards have improved drastically since the tragic death of Brazilian legend Ayrton Senna in 1994.

“We live in a world where nothing is safe. But still F1 safety standards have improved drastically since Ayrton Senna passed away in 1994. My heart goes out to the families of the two drivers who passed away last week but it is life and it happens.

“We never think we put ourselves in danger when we are out on the track. In fact, I feel comfortable when I drive the car to the limit. In all the new tracks, including this one, there are huge run-off areas. If beyond that anything happens, I would call it fate. Total safety doesn’t exist,” he said.

(Bharat Sharma can be contacted at bharat.s@ians.in)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Uncategorized |

Subscribe