I am innocent, says Ashwini AkkunjiJuly 7th, 2011 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) India’s dope tainted quartermiler Ashwini Akkunji, who won 4×400 metres relay gold in the Commonwealth and the Asian Games, Thursday pleaded innocence and laid the blame squarely on the food supplements, which she said were recommended by sacked Ukrainian coach Yuri Ogorodnik.
“I am innocent and have never failed a dope test before this. We only took the food supplements recommended by our coach and only after consuming the supplements, we have been tested positive,” said Aswhini, who also won gold in the 400 metres hurdles at the Asian Games.
Ashiwni Thursday appeared before the National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) for her B sample test. She tested positive for banned anabolic steroid methandienone in tests conducted by the NADA during the Inter State Athletics Championships in Bangalore last month.
“It’s sad since I made many sacrifices during my career. I have never taken steroids in my entire career. It’s not the first time that I have given the dope test. Whenever NADA or WADA (World Anti Doping Agency) had called me, I have given the tests,” she said.
Ashwini said she was tested thrice during the Asian Games, where she won two gold medals, but never failed.
“During the Asian Games, three times we have been called for dope tests and we never failed it. This thing has never happened before. It’s really sad that all this has happened to us. We are totally innocent,” she added.
Ashiwni said eight athletes failing dope test is a big set-back for Indian athletics. The 4×400 metres relay team was seen as a medal prospect in the 2012 London Games but after three runners Mandeep Kaur, Sini Jose and Ashwini flunked the dope tests, all hopes have been dashed. All three had tested positive for methandienone.
“It’s really sad that with Olympic Games next year, this dope scandal has happened. But we will continue our preparation. We will continue with our practice.”
- SAI cracks the whip on coaches at NIS Patiala (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- NADA asks dope tainted athletes to submit food supplements - Jul 06, 2011
- Mandeep blames federation for not providing team doctor - Jul 01, 2011
- Five athletes flunk dope tests - Jun 30, 2011
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini, Priyanka also fail dope test (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- I've been set-up in doping scandal: Ogorodnik - Jul 08, 2011
- Dope tainted runners Mandeep and Juana's hearing adjourned - Jul 15, 2011
- Ashwini, Priyanka's B-samples test positive - Jul 11, 2011
- Asiad, CWG gold winner Ashwini joins dope-tainted stars (Roundup) - Jul 04, 2011
- Ukraine coach blames contaminated food supplements for doping mess (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Three athletes' B samples also test positive - Jul 08, 2011
- Eight athletes failing dope test is unusual: athletics coach - Jul 31, 2011
- Three athletes fail dope test - Oct 11, 2011
- Four NIS officials removed, NADA to test food supplements (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: ashwini, asian games, dope test, dope tests, food supplements, gold medals, hurdles, inter state, london games, methandienone, nada, olympic games, relay team, sacrifices, sample test, sini, steroids, wada, world anti doping agency, yuri